still getting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question still getting advice

Hi. I want to know what your advice would be. We have a income of about 70,000 a year. We owe about 83k in credit cards, 26k on our car, of which about 8k is upside down and payments are 600 a month and 25k on a 2nd mortgage. Bring home is about avg 4300.00 a month. Although my husband is mostly commission. So income varies. Budget is about 3400.00 a month, which includes house payment. 600.00 to car and 275.00 on 2nd mortgage. The attorney is recommending chapter 13. Keeping budget at 3400 and rolling in car and credit cards for 967.00 a month. For a total right at 4300.00 I really want to do chapter 7 but we are over means for our annual income. I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

Originally posted by molly2073 View Post
    Hi. I want to know what your advice would be. We have a income of about 70,000 a year. We owe about 83k in credit cards, 26k on our car, of which about 8k is upside down and payments are 600 a month and 25k on a 2nd mortgage. Bring home is about avg 4300.00 a month. Although my husband is mostly commission. So income varies. Budget is about 3400.00 a month, which includes house payment. 600.00 to car and 275.00 on 2nd mortgage. The attorney is recommending chapter 13. Keeping budget at 3400 and rolling in car and credit cards for 967.00 a month. For a total right at 4300.00 I really want to do chapter 7 but we are over means for our annual income. I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Molly, if you want to file Chapter 7 then you have to meet the guidelines. As I said in your earlier post please get a 2nd (and/or third opinion). You are over the median income and have disposable income. You really need to crunch your numbers as far as expenses go, then see a couple of attorneys.

If you don't want to file for a Chapter 13 you don't have to. It's voluntary.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

As Newbie points out, if you truly have disposable income after all bills/expenses - then you're not a ch. 7 candidate.

Some things to consider though: is your home worth more or less than you owe? If its under water, is it worth more or less than your 1st mortgage?

Have you gone thru your budget, to account for actual & realistic expenses? In the $3400/mo do you include average monthly utilities, groceries, vehicle maintenance expenses, clothing, medicine/medical out of pocket, household maintenance, personal care needs, any insurances that are not deducted from your paychecks, etc.?

You indicate you owe $26k on your car, have $600mo payment and you're upside down by $8,000. Getting something more reasonable - less payment and better value - may be a good idea.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X