Renting an apt after chp 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Renting an apt after chp 7

I am currently scheduled for a 341 meeting on June 23. Around late summer of next year I will be moving with my bf to a new state for grad school. I am a little concerned on how renting an apt will go after my bk has been discharged. In my current apt I have never been late with rent or utilities. No evictions. But I am worried the bk will affect my chances of looking for a new place. Any advice on this?

Originally posted by Lee123 View Post
    I am currently scheduled for a 341 meeting on June 23. Around late summer of next year I will be moving with my bf to a new state for grad school. I am a little concerned on how renting an apt will go after my bk has been discharged. In my current apt I have never been late with rent or utilities. No evictions. But I am worried the bk will affect my chances of looking for a new place. Any advice on this?
    Speak with your attorney if you have trouble-- I've known a couple of people that did, but they were going after higher-end (near) luxury apts. Some attorneys have a list of apartment and/or home rental companies that are 'BK friendly'. At least around here (south east TN) it's a common practice.

I think in this economy having a good record with your current landlord would be more important than your credit report.

Comment

Just call around. Decent ones will require a cosigner.
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Having a good rental history + stable, verifiable income will go a long way in helping you get approval. The credit history may result in a higher deposit though. I used to work in apartment/property management. We could work with credit issues, we could not work with it if someone had been evicted or left owing balances at another apartment complex.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
          Just call around. Decent ones will require a cosigner.
          Wherever I go my SO will be on the lease with me, but I am not sure that will be helpful as he has lived in the dorms his whole college career and has no rental history to speak of. His credit is also in its infancy.

Will FICO score matter? I am not sure how it will look a year from now post bk. I have an excellent rental history, but will probably not have any immediate income beyond what we have saved.

Comment

When I was a landlord I never even looked at credit reports for the properties i was leasing. I wanted to see pay stubs and a current employer. Having the deposit money was also obviously a factor. Biggest negative was an EVICTION. ...and a BK probably would have been fine, if it had been explained to me.

also another negative requiring addl security was a pet(s)

Comment

I would look for places that had a private owner. They will normally work with you on a BK. Some places may require 2 month's rent plus a security deposit.
              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X