Automatic stay and bank account freeze, wage garnishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic stay and bank account freeze, wage garnishment

Hello all. I have been lurking and reading a lot here over the past several days. There are so many supportive and helpful people.

My story starts quite a while ago. Very quick background right now. I live in Illinois. I had issues with Beneficial, owed them over $25,000, and a year ago, after not being able to work out a payment plan with them, they froze my bank account. The money was handed over to them, and the ensuing finance charges from my bank, and the other banks ammounted to over $2000 in just fees alone, not to mention the value of the bounced checks.

I tried working with them on the issue again, and rather than agree to the offer they gave me, I chose to have my wages garnished as it seemed safer at the time. It meant more money per month going to them, but there was no risk of a late or missing payment. The garnishment was pulling over $1000 per month from my paychecks, but the debt would be paid in 2.5 years rather than the plan they offered which would have had me paying them $500 per month for nearly 13 years. Anyway, on June 25, they put another freeze on my bank account, this time with devistating consequences.

We had finally worked out a loan modification that wasn't exactly what we wanted, but was close. One contingency was that since we hadn't made a mortgage payment in over two years, that our first payment would have to be on July 1, and if it was even one day late, the loan mod was null and void. A plan I had worked out regarding my student loans was similar. My student loan payment and mortgage payment was in my account when they froze it. Both agreements are now null and void.

After consulting with an attorney, the only way to stop Beneficial doing this again, as frequently as every 30 days, without filing a motion showing that my assets are exempt, was to file for bankruptcy. I filed for chapter 7, and received my case number yesterday, July 8.

I am happy with my attorney, but still have so many questions, and would like some second opinions as well. I have read a lot here, and have used the search to find information, but I guess I am wanting further clarification, and just really some reassurance. I know I will ask a lot of questions over the next several months, but I guess my first biggie is this one.

I understand the concept of the automatic stay. The money in my frozen account has not been handed over to Beneficial yet, and I have been working with my bank to hold onto it as long as possible. THey had until today to answer the interrogatories as to how much was in the account. The attorneys for Beneficial have been notified of the BK and certainly are aware of the automatic stay. If the atorneys for Beneficial ask that the money be turned over to them anyway, what happens then? Am I correct in my understanding that the money should not be handed over? THe Beneficial has no legal right to it? What should my bank do? What recourse, if any do I have if the money is turned over?

I have the same basic questions regarding the wage garnishment. My employer has not given all of the witholding to Beneficial yet. My understanding is that the automatic stay also applies there as well. That anything that has not been physically handed over at the time I received my case number, should not be handed over, and should be returned to me?

How long does it sualy take for the money to be released back to me, either the bank account or the wage garnishment?

Another slightly unrelated set of questions regarding my student loans. I noticed after filing that I did not include them in my list of creditors. I think I didn't include them because I knew they were not dischargable. Is there any benefit to ammending my filing to include them? Does the automatic deferrment still apply even though they are not listed?

I still have many more questions, but I think I have asked enough for now.

Thanks you all so much, not only for the generous help, but also the great community support. It has really helped.
    Retained Lawyer: June 28 Filed Chapter 7: July 8 341 Meeting: August 16

Now that you've filed, bk's automatic stay protects all your accounts from being frozen or money withdrawn by a creditor listed in your filing papers.

However, the bad news is that banks and credit unions sometimes don't look into court-ordered freezes or permission for money withdrawals they receive too closely. Once they get the papers from the court that a creditor has a judgment and is requesting a freeze or for money to be removed from the account to pay the debt, the bank/CU tends to do whatever is requested and then ask questions later.

Once the account is frozen or money removed, even though you filed bk and are under the protection of the court, you may have to hire legal help to get the money back or get the account unlocked in a timely manner. We've had members in this situation where it took several months to get a freeze off an account or have money returned to an account even though the freeze or money taking was done after filing.

Take a copy of your filing papers and your case number to your bank or CU. Request that this information be added to each of your accounts so everyone at the bank who accesses the account is aware you have filed bk. It's no guarantee, but it can't hurt. It also makes your bank more liable if they violate your stay to take money out of or freeze your account knowing you filed bk.

I'm curious - why haven't you moved all of your accounts out of this bank into another one long before now? Money-seizing and freezes can't be done on an account that is no longer there.

Talk with your lawyer if you wish, but if I were you, I'd move that money into another account at a different bank asap today.
    Last edited by lrprn; 07-09-2010, 09:44 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I bank with a local CU and made them aware before I filed and received my case number. My atorney faxed a copy of the BK to them as soon as I had the case number, so they are well aware. Same with my employer. They all received faxed copies within minutes of the filing.

As to why I still have an account there, and didn't move it a long time ago...stupidity I guess. Now that we have filed, and from talking to my CU management, I am going to keep my account there, and will probably try to open one at a different bank.

I want to keep the one at the CU because they do report to the big three, and I do have an open line of revolving credit that I am not claiming in my BK. Since I am not including them in my BK, the line will stay open with no adverse affects to my ability to bank there, so not a bad deal when trying to rebuild.

One more question...the attorneys for Beneficial were also faxed a copy of my BK filing, so I am concerned that they will try and coerce my CU and employer to release the funds to them...Would it be in bad form, or in anyway detrimental for me to get on the phone with Beneficials attorneys and request that they release the funds to me? (maybe call them several times a day demanding that they do like they did me when they were refusing to work with me? )

Comment

Just an update, as it appears that my concerns in last post became reality, and request for any insight as I wait for a return call from my attorney.

Bank account levy placed 6/25. I filed chapter 7 and received case number July 8. Creditor and bank faxed copies of filing on July 9. Creditor calls bank today, July 12 requesting answer to how much was in the account, and requesting that the funds be released to them. I called and informed my attorney, and waiting to hear back from them.

Just to be clear, the creditor has no legal right to the funds in my account as of right now correct? What recourse do I have if my bank releases the funds to the creditor? Does the creditor have to have a judges order before legally getting the funds? Is it reasonable to assume that the judge would be aware of my bankruptcy?

Comment

One detail I can clarify: when you file, all debts should be listed. Including the student loans, and the line of credit at your CU. In fact, since the CU has been notified - they should close down that line of credit. You can't keep using credit when you have filed bankruptcy...
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
            One detail I can clarify: when you file, all debts should be listed. Including the student loans, and the line of credit at your CU. In fact, since the CU has been notified - they should close down that line of credit. You can't keep using credit when you have filed bankruptcy...
            I have been working with my CU through this whole process, and they aren't going to shut it down because we have used it infrequently and have never had any problems with it. We haven't used any credit since 2007. In fact, the thought of using the credit line at our CU hadn't even crossed our minds. My attorney didn't seem to think there would be any problems so long as we don't touch it, which we weren't going to anyway, and if we have to ammend the BK because of the student loans, we will, but again, since it is non dischagrable, and we were making payments on it, he didn't see that as a big deal either.

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
              Can you clarify this, I have read it is up to the lenders to decide to keep lines open. I have also read that most likely they wont, but it is not a law. Once you file BK, it does not mean you can not use credit. (from what I have read at least) You will not be responsible for debt incurred up to date of filing, after that you are. Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X