Trustee also a BK Lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee also a BK Lawyer

If I file, I am going to go with a local lawyer who is also a trustee. Unfortunately my father has had to file as well, and I believe this lawyer is the trustee for his Chapter 13 case. Mine will be a non-consumer Chapter 7 if I have to file.

Will he still take may case? Still be allowed to? Based on the connection with my father?

Seems like there are so many cases, it wouldn't even come up, but just curious.

Thanks

I don't think it will be a problem as long as there is no debtor-creditor relationship between you and your father and there is no other way either of you are involved with the other's case. Let the attorney know about the relationship so he can make sure there are no ethical problems in representing you.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

There is no debtor creditor, the only way I may be involved is that I currently help my dad to make his house payments as I now currently live there (i.e. rent), and he listed that in his docs. If I file, that obviously will not continue, as I will be broke !

Comment

Ultimately, it will be up to the lawyer whether he feels comfortable representing you and being the trustee in your fathers case. Is there a potential conflict, sure. Is it one that will prevent him from representing you, probably not; but I can envision some scenarios that could make it fairly ugly.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X