Calculating Disposable Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculating Disposable Income

Are minimum credit card payments considered an expense? I'm confused.

Thanks
    File Date Feb 3, 2011
    341 Mar 8, 2011

Absolutely not. You cannot include any "unsecured" debt. You should try a free Means Test at a site like Legal Consumer (LegalConsumer.com)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Bankruptcy will make all your credit cards "go away." You will no longer have cc minimum payments, nor cc payments of any kind.
      Car Payments, utilities, food, health care, childcare, rent or house payment and insurances are all included in the dmi calculation.
      There are a few more things, I agree that a means test calculator is a good place to start looking at allowable expenses.

Good Luck
      I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

how about a Home Equity Line of Credit payment? We are keeping our house, filing ch7 soon, and we are never behind on mortgage or HELC. Currently I pay the minimum to HELC, I would like to pay more to get it paid off sooner,can I pay them more, to get rid of disposable income?

Comment

I believe HELOCs are considered secured, so yes, you'd want to include those payments. But I don't think you can claim more than the amount due every month.
          DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

thats a shame. the amount due every month only covers the interest charges. I usually pay between $25 to $50 extra each month to go toward principle, would like to pay like $200 month toward principle or it will never get paid off.

Comment

Can you talk to the lender and have the monthly payment increased? Not sure if this would fly but might be worth a try.
              DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X