top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No good reason to reaffirm furniture debt...right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question No good reason to reaffirm furniture debt...right?

DH and I bought some badly-needed new furniture in January 2010, before we had any idea we'd be filing BK. We bought it using store credit (Havertys Credit, not backed by Citi as some of their credit is), and intended to pay it off in Feb with our tax refund. However, we ended up needing the tax refund for moving expenses, so we made a few payments on the furniture before we decided to file BK. On the advice of our attorney, we stopped paying everything in April, a month before we filed.

When we had our Ch13 341, Havertys was one of the two creditors who showed up. The rep introduced himself beforehand, saying "I'm the least of your worries today," and just sat there quietly during the hearing. I think he asked if we still had the furniture, but that was it.

Today our attorney sent us a reaffirmation agreement they got from the lender -- I suspect due to our Ch7 conversion. All the attorney said was, "If you choose to reaffirm the debt, sign on the pages highlighted for signature." Havertys wants to charge me ~$2,400, the full amount we still owe, plus 21% interest. After we're discharged, we could probably afford to pay it off, but...after doing some searches here, I have found numerous good reasons not to reaffirm:

- If we're going to eliminate our debt, let's eliminate all of it
    - If we reaffirm, we'll no longer have BK protection on that debt
    - It's unlikely they will ever come get the furniture anyway
    - Even if they do, they will need a court order and it will take some time
    - Why pay full price plus high interest for furniture that is (now) used? Granted, it's only gently used, but still...when our BK is confirmed we could go get new stuff for that price.

However...it's possible that I'm missing something, especially now that we are converting to Ch7. Can you think of any good reason we should reaffirm this debt?
    DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Can't think of a single reason to sign those docs......
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

None. Don't re-affirm, let them come and get it if they really want it. If they do come and get it, there are a lot of good deals out there now and that 2400.00 that you'd pay for used furniture may go pretty far now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X