No announcement yet.

Best Buy is trying to take my goods... :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree on ignoring them. Before my BK was confirmed, I was getting some calls at my job (I work nights so they never were able to contact me) stating that I still had to pay my debt even after filing the BK. They stopped after the BK was filed, chapter 13. They just wanted to see if they could scare me into paying something.

They don't get much, 3 years of payments, $69 divided by about 20 creditors. $150 is my monthly. The rest of the $150 goes to my lawyer.

Comment

Two years ago I bought a desktop and laptop from Best Buy.

My hours got cut, my house ate all my money. In March of this year I filed BK.

Best Buy sent my attorney a letter: offer us a settlement or we're coming for your stuff.

I had about $2300 on the card. My attorney advised me to call their bluff and not do anything. The reasoning: For 2-year-old computing equipment, it's not worth their time to bother coming to get it.

So I didn't do anything. Discharged last month, and never heard from BB again.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a case on this forum where BB *did* come for someone's stuff. Unless you bought a 60" LED TV two months before filing, or a fancy brand-new computer, I think they just want to get some money out of scared filers.

But, I agree with everyone else here - ask your attorney what to do, and follow their advice. However, I would invest in a good external hard drive and back up all your data. That's a good idea no matter how this all turns out.

Comment

JAdams' suggestion is what I do.
        Bass and Ass. sends this letter to everyone. Their business plan is to scare people into thinking they'll lose the property and will pay them money or reaffirm a debt. On the NACBA list (National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys), there are attorneys there that have filed hundreds of cases for years, received this same letter from Bass and Ass. in Arizona, have ignored them, and Bass and Ass. have NEVER repossessed anything from their clients - FOR YEARS.....

I simply send Bass and Ass. (can you tell I like saying that?) a letter demanding that they provide proof that they have a perfected security interest in whatever consumer products they are claiming they have the security interest in. I've yet to receive a response from them. Not even a "Here is our agreement, it says...." type response - literally NOTHING.

The only time I have EVER had a client reaffirm a Bass & Ass. client's claim is when my client bought a motorcycle and was using it as his daily transportation, and I got the letter from them. Client only owed ~$1,200 on it, and Bass & Ass'es client was listed as the first lien holder on the title, so the perfected lien was public record.

--William
        I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
        As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

BKDefender,

This is exactly what my attorneys did two weeks ago with Bass & Ass. Still have not heard from them. If they actually do come.....that is, if I am ever home....I will record the repossession and put it up on you tube for all to enjoy.

ST
          Filed 7 - 7/8/10, 341 - 8/17/10 - Continued, Presumption of Abuse Filed - 8/27/10
          Report of No Distribution 9/27/10. Discharged 2/7/11 Closed 02/25/1
          10/12 EXP. 681

Comment

i would fight this if it best buy filed an adversary procedure ...it was over 90 days and unless they can prove you committed fraud....they lose! please believe me.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It's not Best Buy, It's HSBC/ HFC.. Thats who owns and services the CC accounts for Best Buy.

Comment

same .....it happened to someone i know the same financial company...they lost!
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Okay, so i am calling my lawyer first thing in the morning and telling him that i am not paying them a cent and i'll call their bluff. i feel more confident now because of all the replies. i am glad i found this board! You guys rock!

Comment

i know my friends lawyers...she did that...she called the people that repped best buy and said...too bad...NO fraud...prove it....NOT within 90 days period...blah blah...and her's was dismissed. i know this lady attorney she had was an animal!! LOL....she REALLY protected her client ....we should all be so lucky!

now remember....EVER trustee is different...but i really think you have a shot at winning this one.

Comment

I also received a letter from Bass & Associates forwarded from my lawyer. So far I have not responded anything. I feel a lot of relief right now
                      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

I owed BB/HSBC over 14k. 4 tv's, several blu Ray players, a couple of apple laptops over a 5 year span. Never came to get their stuff.

Comment

5 years and now probably they're worthless now. I didn't mean your stuff are worthless, what I meant was not worth the effort

I have less than what you had but they were over a 2 year span.
                          Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X