US Says Bankruptcies Reach Nearly 5-Year High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Says Bankruptcies Reach Nearly 5-Year High

Looks like things are continuing to get worse. I think these figures are nothing compared to what they will be in a few more months when the majority of unemployed people exhaust their on unemployment benefits. You can read the article here:

CNBC Utilities Page, Politics, Markets, Stock markets, Commodity markets, Currency markets, Bonds, US Top News and Analysis, US Homepage, stocks, Make It, Currencies, Futures & Commodities, business news

No big surprise there. I agree, when the majority of the 99ers feel the full impact of losing their unemployment benefits, it's going to go even higher.
    DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

and by the looks of the office of all the attorneys I saw this week, it will just keep on rising... People waiting to talk to lawyers for hours...
      Filed - 12.29.10
      341 - 2.10.11
      Discharged 4.2.16

Comment

researchnerd

what's the 99ers? Are they the ones running out of unemployment benefits?
        Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

yes that's exactly what the 99ers are. They have collected the maximum 99 weeks of unemployment benefits.

I can only see the bankruptcy numbers going higher into 2011 and 2012.

Originally posted by wnguyen View Post
          researchnerd

what's the 99ers? Are they the ones running out of unemployment benefits?
          Chapter 7 Filed 11/24/10 - 341 Meeting 01/03/11

Comment

I think BK numbers will certainly increase through 2011. Hoping that economy stabilization will happen during 2011, employment/hiring usually trails curve by approx. 6 months, so hopefully end of 2011/2012 will start seeing a slow turnaround in employment and thus BK's. Then again, I just speculate. I also believe there will be a double dip recession to happen at 1st Q 2011.
            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
            AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
              Then again, I just speculate. I also believe there will be a double dip recession to happen at 1st Q 2011.
              That's about all anybody does with regard to economic predictions -- speculate. So your speculation is as good as anybody else's.

But to have a "double dip" recession, we have to first rise out of the first dip -- or at least level off, and then go down again. I haven't seen anything indicating that we've had that rise or leveling off yet.

Here's a good article on what it would look like:

Last edited by MSbklawyer; 08-19-2010, 04:46 PM.
              Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

[QUOTE=MSbklawyer;441874]
                But to have a "double dip" recession, we have to first rise out of the first dip -- or at least level off, and then go down again. I haven't seen anything indicating that we've had that rise or leveling off yet.

Depending on which indicators you choose to look at, there is some argument that can be made for a stabilization and even slight recovery. We're definitely off the lows of 2008 from a market standpoint, and certainly the pace of negative job creation has slowed considerably, some would say has gone positive although not enough to create enough jobs so as to have a substantial impact. So, in my mind at least, there has been a stabilization and we're not in the freefall of 08/09....meaning if another one happened now, I'd label it a double dip.

Good article by the way.
                Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
                AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

What is scarey to me is that someone has to pay for your bankruptcy, the bankruptcy we filed and everyone elses' and more that are coming. Someone has to pay for all that dumped debt and it is all of us with rising prices, higher fees, cut hours, job losses Just over this past week we received two notices of rising bills effective 10/1 - our monthly trash bill going up to cover their rising costs and our internet/cable bill going up $10 per month due to increased costs. Part of the rising costs are people not paying their bills. So everyone else pays.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    What is scarey to me is that someone has to pay for your bankruptcy, the bankruptcy we filed and everyone elses' and more that are coming. Someone has to pay for all that dumped debt and it is all of us with rising prices, higher fees, cut hours, job losses Just over this past week we received two notices of rising bills effective 10/1 - our monthly trash bill going up to cover their rising costs and our internet/cable bill going up $10 per month due to increased costs. Part of the rising costs are people not paying their bills. So everyone else pays.
                    Stated another way: For every dollar a person consumes that he didn't produce; the corolary is that there is a dollar that someone else did produce that he won't get to consume.

Hey . . wait .. Did I just agree with Flamingo on someting?
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I'm doing my part
                      Filed Ch 7 8/12/10
                      341 Meeting 9/15/10
                      Discharged 11/15/10

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                        What is scarey to me is that someone has to pay for your bankruptcy, the bankruptcy we filed and everyone elses' and more that are coming. Someone has to pay for all that dumped debt and it is all of us with rising prices, higher fees, cut hours, job losses.
                        I think it's the cost of credit. Even though it's not exactly put, it makes sense. The credit card companies charge us on unsecured debts double digit interest rates to partly cover this risk, which is bankruptcy, as well as those default. For the past several years I and million others have been paying for the defaulted and bankrupt, now it's my turn and many of yours here too. The cycle/circle keeps going.
                        Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by shauner View Post
                          yes that's exactly what the 99ers are. They have collected the maximum 99 weeks of unemployment benefits.
                          Thanks shauner.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X