Means test and HELOC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Means test and HELOC??

When I do the online means test I include ths payment correct??

Do I put it where my mortgage and car payment goes - I think it's section 42?

Because I did the test with out that payment and it said we failed but with the payment we pass.

Thanks!
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Yes, you include the payment.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Phew!! Thanks I almost freaked out for a minute...lol

I wonder then why you don't include student loans but include HELOC?

Do I just add the mortgage and HELOC payment together?
      "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Student loans are non-dischargeable and, more importantly, not a secured debt. Even though you can include the HELOC -- which is a secured debt -- on the Means Test... it may be questionable on Schedule J. If you're over the median and you are surrendering the home to which the HELOC is pledged... you could run into some issues with the United States Trustee (UST).

Other than that, the HELOC absolutely belongs on the means test.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks I just thought since student loans are not dischargeable and have to be paid it would go on the means test. We are over the median but keeping our house.

Comment

Another means test question -

I read somewhere on here today that my tax return should be included in salary? We usally get about 3200 every year. This year will be less b/c I have to pay taxes on the 401K hardship I took earlier in the year. We have always claimed married 00 so we have extra to pay our property taxes with the refund. Now I'm concerned that if the return money will be added as salary. We would def fail the means test in that case.

Comment

Yes, any refund is actually an "overpayment" or overwithholding. It is income. Generally speaking, you should take your average refund and divide it by 12 to reach your average "overpayment".

Comment

Thanks - not the answer I was looking for

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                  Thanks - not the answer I was looking for
                  The overpayment issue is exactly where the United States Trustee (UST) typically finds abuse in Chapter 7 cases... especially in over-the-median income cases.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X