Banking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banking Question

Ok since I am going to include a overdrawn bank account in my BK I am freaking out about not being able to open another checking account somewhere else.

So far I have not been reported to Chexs or EWS. And this overdrawn account is still open so as soon as I don't deposit money into that account I'm sure I will be reported to both systems. On Friday I opened new checking account with a bankt that I do not have any creditors with. So far so good but I have been reading horror stories of accounts being opened then a few weeks later they are closed or frozen b/c of BK.

I keep getting mixed messages from the branch manager and the 800 customer service.

Anyone else experience a hard time getting a new bank account?
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Freddy,

Our BofA checking is being included in BK because they authorized an ACH without available funds that overdrew the account. We opened a new account at US Bank and purposefully accepted their offer of a $500 line of credit for o/d protection. Fast forward 3 weeks, we filed 8/27, line of credit at US Bank was closed by grantor on 9/8, but checking and savings are very much intact. So we know US Bank knows, and that they are BK friendly at least on the dda (demand deposit accounts-checking, savings, etc) side.

The only bank I have heard of consistently freezing accounts due to holder filing BK is Wells Fargo and some credit unions. Pretty much all attorneys tell you to go anywhere but Wells Fargo.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

same here regarding WF, we were told if we have an account with them to close it and move on which is what we did.

Comment

I had two overdraft accounts (personal and business) with a local credit union that were included in the BK. I opened an account at WF, prior to retaining my attorney. My attorney said they freeze accounts, so I opened up a new business and personal checking acct at another CU. I declined overdraft protection. I filed over six weeks ago and my CU accounts are fine.
        Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
        341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
        Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Hi,
          I'm really new to the forum and I need advice on this as well. I have been with Citibank for years, and owe $1000 on the line of credit attached to my personal checking acct. I also have my business account with them. I have not closed the accounts, but did open another checking/savings with a CU. My atty advised that I totally walk away and not pay it, and include it in the BK, which I reluctantly agreed to. I am just a few days from discharge and would really like to keep my accounts at that bank. I was even up front with the branch manager, and he said he appreciated the gesture, but there was nothing he could do about it, and that it would be included in the discharge.
          Not sure what to do. Should I call and talk to someone in the BK dept? Just trying not to destroy my relationship with them, and keep my accts there.
          any advice will be greatly appreciated!
          Filed: 6/14/2010 341: 7/22/2010 Discharged: 9/21/2010

Comment

Stillstandin - i really appreciate your loyal personality and wish there were more more people like you. with regards to Citi, i have read tons of info on how they are typically difficult to deal with and how they have taken homeowners money during trial payments and then denying those people for a loan mod for no reason when there was no change in the homeowners circumstances. they basically stole money from those family's while they were experiencing difficult times. i really don't have any respect for that bank at all, which seems to apply to a lot of banks now days I'm sorry to say. in any case, once you are discharged i would expect that you could apply for and open a new account with the same bank if they will let you. or, if they let you keep your current account then you should be able to continue using it. I would not make any promises to pay back the 1000 to the bank as it may not look favorable to the Trustee if he finds out. i don't suppose i could talk you into keeping the Cu account or if you are not happy with them open an account at a different CU?

Comment

From my understanding is you can't pick and choose how you want to keep out of BK. If you owe someone money then it gets included.

If you owe Citibank money and have a checking/savings account with them I would suggest opening another account somewhere else. Do not use Wells Fargo or Wachovia.

Good Luck to you
              "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Thank you, and yes, I'm keeping the CU account. I like them, but they are not convenient at all to get to, and I have to snail mail all of my deposits or walk about half a mile to the nearest branch. That's the only drawback. (I know, I should stop complaining...) I think then, that I'll end up closing the personal accts and leave the business acct at Citi and see what happens in the next week or so. I'm not particularly ford of them either, but for some reason, with all these changes and the stress of BK, I have been having problems 'breaking up' with them. I will do it though! Thanks very much for the advice. So many more questions. Glad this site is here--I wish I'd have known about it when I was contemplating filing all by myself, hyperventilating, and tearing my hair out. :-)
                Filed: 6/14/2010 341: 7/22/2010 Discharged: 9/21/2010

Comment

freddy...we opened another account BEFORE the filing...just with a bit of cash. that way we didn't have to worry about it.

nowadays you can open a checking with just an id...so i would seriously look into that. we went with the MOST local small bank in our immediate area.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

We opened an account with $45 at US Bank 4 weeks before filing so we had time to redirect our direct deposits. No big deal. You don't have to restrict it to a small bank or CU. US Bank is not small.
                    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                      We opened an account with $45 at US Bank 4 weeks before filing so we had time to redirect our direct deposits. No big deal. You don't have to restrict it to a small bank or CU. US Bank is not small.
                      of course you did...why am i not surprised????
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                        of course you did...why am i not surprised????
                        Huh? I am getting confused a lot today apparently

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                          Huh? I am getting confused a lot today apparently

it's the pacer addiction...it's ok..i understand joe....

i was referring to of course you used your brain and opened another bank account prior to filing...because you are smart....just a bit forgetful...yet very smart...

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                            it's the pacer addiction...it's ok..i understand joe....

i was referring to of course you used your brain and opened another bank account prior to filing...because you are smart....just a bit forgetful...yet very smart...
                            Oh...duh...yeah, I think I should say thanks?

Comment

Yes I too opened not one but two new checking accounts because I'm pretty sure I'll be reported to Chexsystems and EWS soon for the overdrawn account. I opened one with a CU b/c they don't do random Chexs and EWS checks so I'll be good with them post filing

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X