top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Job Interview This Week --- when should I bring up my credit issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Job Interview This Week --- when should I bring up my credit issues?

Hi: I really need some advice quick. I have a 3rd interview this Thursday with a company that is the gold star in my industry. They have just sent me a employment application and have asked me to fill it out and bring it with me to my interview.

The last page is a document that states that I give them permission to contact credit bureaus, schools, former employers etc.

I want this job so very badly.

How should I handle this, should I state once they make me the offer or should I state this at the end of the interview that "my husbands job loss has affected our credit score and it has taken a hit these last few months"

thanks
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

just be honest and explain to them how todays economy has affected your life and credit score

thats all u can do

good luck with the interview
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

I'm totally going to be honest, but I just don't know when to bring this up. Should it be after the interview or when an offer is made to me?

thanks

Comment

In my opinion, it should be before they run the records checks on you, otherwise they'll find out before you have a chance to tell them. So I'd bring it up after the interview. But that's only my opinion. In this industry you're in, how much does a BK and/or credit problems really matter? Or will it matter that they find out through the records check and not from you? Your judgement call.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

It is for a Finance Management Position. Do you think they would run the credit check prior to making an offer? I was thinking I would wait till an offer is made but if they run a credit check prior to an offer ugh....my stomach is in knots over this

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
          In my opinion, it should be before they run the records checks on you, otherwise they'll find out before you have a chance to tell them. So I'd bring it up after the interview. But that's only my opinion. In this industry you're in, how much does a BK and/or credit problems really matter? Or will it matter that they find out through the records check and not from you? Your judgement call.

Comment

i'de bring it up at the interview
            Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
            Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
            Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
              It is for a Finance Management Position. Do you think they would run the credit check prior to making an offer? I was thinking I would wait till an offer is made but if they run a credit check prior to an offer ugh....my stomach is in knots over this
              Then definitely bring it up at the interview. You may want to approach it like "in furthering my belief to be transparent and no surprises, I need to tell you that....blah blah blah" or something like that. "During my background check, you will find this information, and this is why. I wanted to tell you upfront so that there were no surprises in our relationship." Wow, I kinda like that one....
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Joe: Thanks for the help...

Since I have not yet declared BK ( I can't till November when hubby's severance drops off), I was wondering if having a lower credit score makes a difference and would be something to declare up front....thanks

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                Then definitely bring it up at the interview. You may want to approach it like "in furthering my belief to be transparent and no surprises, I need to tell you that....blah blah blah" or something like that. "During my background check, you will find this information, and this is why. I wanted to tell you upfront so that there were no surprises in our relationship." Wow, I kinda like that one....
                Last edited by Fallonedward; 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

As soon as you sign that application and leave the interview, if they are still interested in you as an employee they will run your credit and background check before making a final decision. In order to get your foot in the door, at this interview when you see an opportunity come up where you are asked if you have any further questions or another time you feel it would be comfortable to fit in, explain your husband lost his job and a certain household percentage of income and had to file BK, have bad credit, etc. Stress this would not have any effect as to you on your job performance and point to your past record/experience/skills to pull you through. Remember, as an employee you are looked upon to make money for the employer; they don't want a nonproductive employee with financial issues that may take a lot of personal time on the job and be nonproductive.

What MAY hurt you is if the company has a policy of not hiring someone with bad credit or with BK on their records. Financial companies may have that policy for legal and insurance purposes. They will have to tell you that prior to hiring but if they want an employee badly they can and may circumvent that situation. What you should have done as to this company was investigate their hiring practices/policies before hand as much as you could. Many companies have a lot of hiring information as to their company's practices on their websites.

Best of luck to you...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Joe: Thanks for the help...

Since I have not yet declared BK ( I can't till November when hubby's severance drops off), I was wondering if having a lower credit score makes a difference and would be something to declare up front....thanks
                    You will need to bring it up especially if your lower score contains items that denote financial mismanagement (missed/late payments, charge offs, collections, etc.). Flamingo made a couple great points as to approaching it. And I completely agree with financial institutions having a policy of potentially not hiring someone due to perceived increased risk. Your best bet may indeed be to be upfront about it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X