Designer goods and bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Designer goods and bankruptcy

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have always made purchases on my charge cards for designer bags and clothing and had always paid them off in the past. I am now finding that chapter 7 is my best option after going through a costly divorce. My legal fees are through the roof due to my ex-husband suing me for spousal support. He lost but I still owe tons in legal fees. So heres my question: will they come after me for my handbags and clothing since they were charged and not paid for in full and will there be a problem with me filing because I purchase luxury goods? If so, any advice? I haven't charged anything in approx 4 months. All my payments have been made on time.

Michelle, you are worrying over silly stuff.

1st since your not using your cards any more you good there, yet don't use them if your planning to file.

Your worrying about standard household items anyways, they won't need an itemized list of all your girly stuff, if that were the case a court representative would show up at all homes for inventory. Hahaha.

What you need to show is a hardship with your divorce and how the situation has caused you to file as your only option.

My advice is to file before your broke. You can exempt a fair amount of savings. ($20K) at least in CA.

Comment

Actually... the previous poster is half right... it depends. For our schedules - we had to list everything - yes everything, from pairs of shoes, to ties, to socks and purses...you name it we had to list it. Our lawyer even asked if there were designer anything worth any value (no...). If you have those designer bags (Coach. Dooney, Prada etc) you have to list them..and yes the Trustee CAN take them and make you sell them, absolutely. Even used bags fetch money.

As for your attorney fees - if your husband caused you legal fees because he was seeking spousal support and you won...why didnt you seek reimbursement for your legal fees incured? Thats quite odd...

Comment

Perhaps things are different in your area Pandora, but in most places, in divorces, one party having to pay another's legal fees is HIGHLY unusual unless there is fraud or a massive difference in income between the parties. And I do mean massive. I worked for a divorce attorney and everyone always asked, but I only saw attorney fees awarded ONCE, and that was because Party A made like 20x the money of party B, and Party A was the one who kept dragging everything back into court. Divorce isn't like a regular civil case, you aren't entitled to attorney's fees simply by virtue of having won the case.

Comment

The purchases won't likely be an issue. Now, if we are talking about $10,000 charged 3 months ago, and you never made a payment to the credit card, that could be a problem. But in general, "what" you bought is a non-issue.

Comment

Thank you. The jerk requested I pay his attorney fees and refused to work and claimed disability. It would have cost me way more in legal fees if I tried to make him pay my legal fees. He lives off his wealthy family and I would never see a penny owed to me. I am in CA and consider myself lucky for not having to pay support. I would hope that my purchases aren't considered red flags but my shopping habits were always the same. I didn't buy handbags out of the clear blue.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X