What was your WOW Moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was your WOW Moment?

Other than filing, the 341 or the discharge, did any of you guys have a moment in the process of planning/going through your bankruptcy that made you take a step back and say WOW? Mine was today and all of a sudden it is seems very real.

I got a call early this afternoon from the repo man about my truck. I have to "deliver" it to him this evening at a local grocery store and we will avoid the entire spectacle of him showing up at my house with a tow truck. First of all, I feel fortunate to have made it 4 months without payment on my vehicle (Santander Consumer Finance) and planned to give it back during the BK anyway. I also feel good that the repo man was nice enough to call me and work with me in getting the vehicle back.

I guess what I feel bad/excited about is that there is no turning back now (not that I was going to) and it feels like the BK process has actually started. Next step...file in the first week in November.
    • Filed Chapter 7 on 6/26/2012
    • 341 on 7/26/2012

I retained my attorney for $200. When I paid him the balance, that was my WOW moment. I have Santander, too, for my car. I wonder when they'll be calling. Did they contact you after discharge? I stopped paying in July. I should be discharged by November 23.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

My wow moment...guess there were two that made it very real. I guess I can say one was the trigger, the other the reality. Trigger was when we thought we might be pregnant again in June, without any healthcare coverage. Wife was wondering how to handle and was very surprised by how calm I was. Finally asked me why I wasn't freaking out, we couldn't afford health insurance, or new stuff for new baby, etc, etc. I calmly said, if we are, there is only one thing left to do. File. She was in shock. Next wow, the reality wow, was last week. We actually had enough money left over that we not only went to a wedding, but spend the weekend at a Larkspur Hotel suite, and gave approx. $120 wedding gift. And we're not broke.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
        We actually had enough money left over that we not only went to a wedding, but spend the weekend at a Larkspur Hotel suite, and gave approx. $120 wedding gift. And we're not broke.
        Yea, I actually have money in the bank to pay bills and no need to worry about timing the checks right.
        Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Extra money??? What a concept! That is great...congrats! My wife and I have not even filed yet, but looking ahead around 4 months, we will go from monthly expenses of $12k to around $4 or $5k. I know $12k is ridiculous (cars, boat, big house, credit card payments, etc.), but we were both in real estate prior to the crash and when times were good, they were great and we could not see an end in site. The real estate crash has been a great reality check for us, but unfortunately we are losing/giving back a lot of the stuff we love with this BK. Good lesson on saving money though!
          • 341 on 7/26/2012

Comment

My WOW moment was when I finally put the attorney contracts and his retainer fee in the mail after it sat on my desk for over a week. After I dropped it in the mail box it hit me. It wasn't a great WOW moment. I'm hoping after this is all said and done I will have a different WOW experience.
            "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by drowning123 View Post
              I retained my attorney for $200. When I paid him the balance, that was my WOW moment. I have Santander, too, for my car. I wonder when they'll be calling. Did they contact you after discharge? I stopped paying in July. I should be discharged by November 23.
              I have not actually filed yet (early November), but Santander was relentless with their collection calls. My last payment to them was June 25th (8 days late) and they gave the repo order yesterday, October 12th. I am not sure what the process/time frame is for contacting you after the discharge. Good luck!
              • 341 on 7/26/2012

Comment

My WOW moment was when we were waiting for a garnishment that may or may not come through. We filed October 5 and that feeling has really subsided. Infact, my nerves are tons better now. I am just waiting for the 341. I try not to think about it.
                Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

My WOW was actually going to different atty's offices to get consultations. It was my first trip ever inside an atty office. The biggest WOW was handing over the cash to pay for the atty and the filing. But want a relief it has been since filing, as we have to be able to put the ringers back on the phones and it is nice having to only worry about our main bills, and to have the money in the bank to take care of them. Sure it is still hard, and it is an adjustment to not using the convenience of credit, but one I am gladly willing to trade to for the first real positive outlook of our future.
                  Filed: 9/27/2010; 341 Scheduled: 11/12/10; Trustee Report of No Distribution 11/16/10; DISCHARGED 1/12/2011

Comment

My wow moment was leaving the courthouse after filing. I filed pro se so had to drive downtown and file the papers with the clerk. I knew I needed to file but kept putting it off...guess I was waiting for a miracle. As I was driving home, it was such a mix of positive and negative emotions. I was upset it had finally come to this, but so relieved I could actually answer my phone again. The minute my 341 was over it got better and better. I will still breathe easier when I am discharged, but I know the peace of mind has been worth it.
                    A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

My "wow" moment came about five days after filing. I do not work outside of the house due to disability, so I am at home most of the day. Due to all of the telephone calls from creditors and collection agencies I had to turn off my phone and let all of the calls go to the answering machine. It had been turned off for about six months. About five days after filing I noticed that the phone calls had stopped; on a few days the phone NEVER rang! My "wow" moment came when I was FINALLY able to turn my phone on again! It felt GREAT!!!

Comment

It's been 2 years of selling off possessions and really struggling just to keep food on the table and the bills paid. When there was nothing left to sell and 3 kids still at home, I suppose that was the WOW moment of "we must file BK after all." We had tried to avoid filing BK with every ounce of energy we had. We placed HOPE in the loan modification & HAMP programs too. Overall, it just feels exhausting & depressing... like we fought so hard, but ended up losing anyway. At least BK keeps us from being sued. BK was discharged 2 months ago and we're still pretty broke...... I'd love a vacation. :::sigh::::

Comment

My WOW moment came when a credit union with a rep for being aggressive found us. How did they do that I wondered. We had moved and left no forwarding info. It took them about 4 months, but once they found us I knew it was time to file before they sued us.
                          Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

my "wow" moment came on august 16; my mom's birthday (who never used credit) and we were served a notice of garnishment from amex. After about 1.5 year of adjustment of lower wages, it was time to call it a day with credit.

boat repo notice came a few days later

TODAY it is official - we are bankrupt! lawyer gave us our case number and 341 date. It is surreal.

what next??? I posted that question on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by gamama View Post
                              what next??? I posted that question on another thread.

Chillax and wait for your 341.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X