Maybe lacking the intestinal fortitude to do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe lacking the intestinal fortitude to do this

I just went to drop off the retainer fee for our lawyer and I was a nervous wreck. Seems like once we gave him the money there was no going back even though we really don't have much of an option to not go through with it. I really thought I was going to throw up on the way home.

I asked about the creditor calls and thankfully he does want me to refer all calls to him. The strangest thing is, I got a call from Chase just a few minutes ago asking about my late cc payment, and it was just as hard to tell them what I planned on doing and giving them the name and # of my lawyer!

I'm not sure how I am going to handle the 341 meeting.

Reading the stories on here have made me feel a little better but I really thought I would feel relief for having made the step to actually retain the lawyer and be able to tell the cc companies not to bother me anymore.

Hang in there Congrats on the first step! I too was sick and kept the retainer fee and contracts on my desk for a week before I got enough nerve to drop it in the mail box. I have no problem telling the creditors to call my attorney.
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Be thankful that you have an atty that you can tell them to call. I was going to hire one but now thinking that I can do this myself through one of those paralegal offices where you get the forms from and I can save the money that I would've paid to an atty. I'm having to just let the cell phone ring and not answer.

I'm really low assest or no assest and I've already been told in consultations that I'll be eligible for Chapter 7.

If I paid all that money to an atty for what I can do myself, from learning on this site, and the office where the forms are coming from will double check them for me, I think I can do this. I'd throw up if I paid an atty when I really don't need one. And I'll probably throw up if I find out I will need one but I'm saving money aside just in case, for some reason, I might have to hire one.

Comment

I am thankful that he takes the calls, I have read on here that not all attys do. I commend you and the others that file on your own, that would be way to much pressure on me, I would crack for sure! Good luck.

Comment

Trust me, it felt like committing a felony when I purposely missed payments in September. It was because that was an 'unatural' feeling which is logical and acceptable. I got it over real quick and especially when I 'finally' found a decent forum site like this one where I could learn from. It was hard to google and find a site, really. Seemed everything was coming up regarding debt counseling and I knew there had to be a real, public, discussion forum somewhere just like every other topic that's out there in cyberspace. I'm sure there's more and will just have to search but this one seems pretty active. It makes one feel better knowing that if we're doing this, that there's people to talk with in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by allgoingwron View Post
            I just went to drop off the retainer fee for our lawyer and I was a nervous wreck. Seems like once we gave him the money there was no going back even though we really don't have much of an option to not go through with it. I really thought I was going to throw up on the way home.

I asked about the creditor calls and thankfully he does want me to refer all calls to him. The strangest thing is, I got a call from Chase just a few minutes ago asking about my late cc payment, and it was just as hard to tell them what I planned on doing and giving them the name and # of my lawyer!

I'm not sure how I am going to handle the 341 meeting.

Reading the stories on here have made me feel a little better but I really thought I would feel relief for having made the step to actually retain the lawyer and be able to tell the cc companies not to bother me anymore.
            allgoing...it's natural to feel the way you do. we all did or do. it's downright scary...we fill guilty...then we feel relief...it's such a contradiction of highly charged emotions...all hitting us at the same time.

just relax...easy to say right?? LOL....take one day at a time...stay close to this forum...we are all here to support and hold a hand when needed...and most of all to let you know, you are NOT alone!!!

you'll be fine! promise! and welcome to the bkforum!!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You'll be fine allgoingwron. Think about it this way. What is the alternative to your current course of action? Really think about the alternative, dealing with creditors yourself, judgements, etc. See, it does get better!!
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
              AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Thanks for the support, I really do appreciate it. Like I said, I just thought I would feel a little better after it was done and for the record I've still ignored other calls today. That one was enough for me LOL. Hopefully some more call in the evening and I'll let my DH take care of those ones.

Comment

Thanks for the support, I really do appreciate it. Like I said, I just thought I would feel a little better after it was done and for the record I've still ignored other calls today. That one was enough for me LOL. Hopefully some more call in the evening and I'll let my DH take care of those ones.
                  Hey allgoingwron, I went through similar emotions and documented them here. Take a read, I think it'll strike a chord.

Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

We filed Pro Se, and that first call that came (even though I KNOW we included said creditor on our matrix) empowered me. The call came when we were out, so there was a message. I called the number, spoke with the contact, and simply stated, "We have filed bankruptcy. I can give you our case number." He was not necessarily bubbling with gratitude, but asked the case number, district where we filed, and if I had an attorney's number. I told him no, we are acting on our own behalf, and that they should have received our notice. Not another call since. It really is a relief.

However, interesting note. Someone called my mother in another state post-filing asking for me. Nobody had attempted to contact me for ages, so it seems like they got the notice and thought they'd try one more back-door attempt to contact me. Haven't heard anything since. I love being able to answer my phone without looking at the caller id
                    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Ha! Thanks ccsjoe that did make me feel a little better. I guess it's that whole crazy notion that our situation is somehow different and we are experiencing something that no one else could possibly understand.

We usually have those friends and family that we can use as a sounding board for things going wrong and this just ain't one of those times that we can use that resource.

Comment

Ha! Thanks ccsjoe that did make me feel a little better. I guess it's that whole crazy notion that our situation is somehow different and we are experiencing something that no one else could possibly understand.

We usually have those friends and family that we can use as a sounding board for things going wrong and this just ain't one of those times that we can use that resource.
                        Oh how well do I know this.......Glad to help.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X