top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filed 3 Days ago - already got a car offer in the mail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed 3 Days ago - already got a car offer in the mail!

I filed on 10/26...

Got an offer to buy a car from (URL removed by moderator) since we had filed.

Got an advertisement for a Pre-discharge Financial Management Course in the mail, and the company knew our case number!

How do these people know this? Anyone else had stuff like this come in the mail 3 days after they filed??
    Last edited by Flamingo; 10-30-2010, 04:32 AM.
    10/26/10 - FILED CHAPTER 7 12/15/10 - 341 COMPLETED 2/17/11 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Yup. BK filings are public records. There are companies that scan filings daily, then compile lists that they either use for direct marketing or sell to third parties for direct marketing. I got those too, matter of fact, still getting them. My shredder is quite satisfied.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Artgood,
      I had the same things happen to me. I was surprised also. The credit offers keep coming every week.
      Best Wishes,
      Mike

Comment

Count me in, too. I've received several car offers and post bankruptcy financial courses.
        Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Congratulations...your name and address are now being passed around to all sorts of car dealerships, high interest/fee creditors, etc. and will be on BK related mailing lists for years to come. As soon as one files, that information is automatically added to the public records and automatically picked up on a daily or otherwise basis by those wanting the information. Expect your name/address to be sold/passed around to many mailing lists. We are over 4 years past a Chapter 13 discharge and STILL get BK-related car and other information in the mail. Filing BK never goes away...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            Congratulations...your name and address are now being passed around to all sorts of car dealerships, high interest/fee creditors, etc. and will be on BK related mailing lists for years to come. As soon as one files, that information is automatically added to the public records and automatically picked up on a daily or otherwise basis by those wanting the information. Expect your name/address to be sold/passed around to many mailing lists. We are over 4 years past a Chapter 13 discharge and STILL get BK-related car and other information in the mail. Filing BK never goes away...
            I agree with Flamingo. I opted out of receiving unsolicited credit offers with all three credit bureaus and that cut down on the junk mail quite a bit at least. So, it appears that a lot of these companies making the offers are buying their lists from the credit bureaus.
            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I began having all my mail sent to a mailing service so that nobody employed in our community office would see an avalanche of mail from obvious card companies, etc.

Of the mailings that have arrived, is there anything on the envelope or cards that gives the indication that you've been in the process that another person could detect the nature of it? Is BK printed anywhere on the advertisement if it's not in a sealed envelope or would the return address give it away that it's related?

Comment

One of the mailings I got said had "RE. Personal Financial Management Course" on the outside. That could mean anything I guess to someone not in the know.
                10/26/10 - FILED CHAPTER 7 12/15/10 - 341 COMPLETED 2/17/11 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

Yep, just what I thought. I changed my address with the cc companies but I think I better do an entire USPS address change because I didn't realize I might receive something like that in the mail. I'm glad this was brought up here and opened my mind.

That's like those ads sent out to people about driving schools when they've received a ticket. One time I was appealing with the state unemployment office about a job I'd previously left...received a card in the mail from a law office offering to represent me if my claim wasn't approved. Anybody seeing it would understand what it was but at any rate, I don't want any BK-related junk coming to me so I better act quick and do the USPS total address change immediately.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X