Go with gut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go with gut?

I spoke to an attorney via phone the begining of May that I was referred to by a friend that had used him. I found him to be very easy to talk to & found much relief after our conversation. Due to procrastination- here we are 6 months later- & I've yet to file. I did see an attorney I was eligible for through Legal Aid 3 weeks ago & did bring home the mountain of paperwork. The fee is $400.00 less than the previous attorney yet I am still stalling. Something about the second attorney made me feel 'judged' per se. I have been separated now for over 4 years & must of told him 3 times that as of now the divorce preceedings are dead in the water. My husbands attorney removed himself from the case 18 months ago due to inactivity. I'm wondering if anyone has opted to go with gut vs. the $$ amount of the attorney. Common sense says save the $400.00 & use the lesser cost attorney yet my personal preference is the man I felt to be more 'human'. I do have the lesser attorneys fee in full & am able to pay the 2nd one the bulk. I also wonder how long I have until Chase iniates a lawsuit-not been paid now since May 1st.

Here is what I would do, you must decide for yourself: Go with your gut feeling, it usually is a bit of "Guardian Angel" on your shoulder leading you to right. I would go with cash in hand of what you have, and tell the attorney you like that his competition offered the lessor amount and you have near the lessor amount in your purse, would he take you as a client if you paid him all of it up front? Telling it just like it is, he just may accept that "bird in hand" and also many lawyer do pro bono but don't advertise that for obvious reasons. It is worth a try. Only one answer if you do not make that try. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      Here is what I would do, you must decide for yourself: Go with your gut feeling, it usually is a bit of "Guardian Angel" on your shoulder leading you to right. I would go with cash in hand of what you have, and tell the attorney you like that his competition offered the lessor amount and you have near the lessor amount in your purse, would he take you as a client if you paid him all of it up front? Telling it just like it is, he just may accept that "bird in hand" and also many lawyer do pro bono but don't advertise that for obvious reasons. It is worth a try. Only one answer if you do not make that try. 'Hub
      hubs exactly correct...and not only do some atty's do pro bono...but they may charge you less that the normal fee based on your situation.

go with who you are comfortable...maybe it's time to stop paying cc's and make payments to the atty that YOU feel most comfortable with.

best of luck!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

My friend made payments to him so I do know that he works that way. The other odd thing is she was only asked for 2 years of tax returns & I was asked for 3 by #2. I had no idea why that was as well. She said she handed him her things-he filed-attended the 341 & that was it-finalized after the 60 days . #2 has me feeling this will be a long process -I am a no asset case & well below the income for Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by sval View Post
          My friend made payments to him so I do know that he works that way. The other odd thing is she was only asked for 2 years of tax returns & I was asked for 3 by #2. I had no idea why that was as well. She said she handed him her things-he filed-attended the 341 & that was it-finalized after the 60 days . #2 has me feeling this will be a long process -I am a no asset case & well below the income for Pa.
          it's good to know he/she will take payments if that is the way you want to go. most ask for only 2 years of 1040's...we insisted actually, on submitting three because we wanted the trustee to see exactly how much our income had gone down...you sound as tho you have a relatively "easy" case...but it's ain't over the cow moo's his last moo...i think it's just important for you, with all the stress associated with a bk to have someone you feel is in your corner with you...

again...only YOU can decide which is best for you..
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Always go with your gut. If you read your posts, it sounds like you're leaning towards #1. Hub and Tobee gave some great advice. Approach #1 with the money that you have. What's the worse he can say? No? Then you've lost nothing because it's no if you don't ask.

I wish you the best.
            Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

I agree with the posters above - you need to go with who you feel the most comfortable with. Let's face it, this is a big event in your life (I know it was in mine!) and you need to surround yourself with people that will support you through it - including those on this forum. I, too, met with an attorney who I felt looked down his nose at me. Whether or not that is truly the case did not matter to me - I needed someone who I felt backed me every step of the way. We are a simple no asset, below the median CH 7. I know that $400 is a lot when you don't have much, but believe me, it will be money well spent if it puts you at ease. That is just my 2 cents!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
              Filed Ch 7 Sept '10, 341 Meeting Oct '10, Discharged Dec '10, Case Closed Jan '11

EQ 2/8/11 - 584, 6/2/11 - 677

Comment

gut feelings are usually dead on. Go with them

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X