top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the holidays are upon us. How is your holiday different pre-Bk and now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the holidays are upon us. How is your holiday different pre-Bk and now?

I for one am glad to know that on Dec. 26, it's done. There's no credit card bills coming to make me second guess what I did! We've been that way for a couple years now though. We also are more selective about what we purchase the kids- we try to get more bang for the buck. And I have NO PROBLEM shopping off of Craigslist. I bought my son a used remote control jeep last year for $10, it was in great shape and saved me about $40. My youngest got used VTech hand held games from my brother and sister (my nephews outgrew them) and she could care less if they were new or not! DH and I generally don't exchange anymore either, and if we do it's usually practical. This year I told him if the kids want to get me something, I could use a watch. The ONE thing I don't like is I'm waiting until next payday for shopping money because we didn't save throughout the year. Next year I'm going to set aside $50 a month or so.

So I was just curious what other changes others have seen, if any.
    Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

great thread olives....

we have most certainly notice changes.....we are so careful about every penny we spend...making it go as far as we can and going more for "needs" than wants...our list went from approx 20 to 5....that's it...and it's only for "kids"...no one else...not even each other.

clothing...grocery store gift cards....and my sister getting a new liver....(she's number 1 on the list and we are waiting daily and now truly know how little "things" matter)....that's all i want for Christmas....
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I have had to be cheap for the past decade as I have bounced in and out of jobs this entire decade, so I haven't been much different this year. For the past 2 years it has been extremely cheap and pre-bk, for fear of survival and being homeless. BK helped alleviate a major financial stress for me.

The recent unemployment extension was a huge stress relief for me as well. I can now actually enjoy the holidays as I am grateful I can put food on the table and pay the bills. So this years Christmas will be extra special for me where I can worry a little less about survival and actually look forward to seeing family.

After discharge I believe I will find a job (hopefully sooner rather than later, but I am very positive about this). I am looking forward to next Christmas in which I believe I will actually have a normal Christmas for the first time in a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
        I have had to be cheap for the past decade as I have bounced in and out of jobs this entire decade, so I haven't been much different this year. For the past 2 years it has been extremely cheap and pre-bk, for fear of survival and being homeless. BK helped alleviate a major financial stress for me.

The recent unemployment extension was a huge stress relief for me as well. I can now actually enjoy the holidays as I am grateful I can put food on the table and pay the bills. So this years Christmas will be extra special for me where I can worry a little less about survival and actually look forward to seeing family.

After discharge I believe I will find a job (hopefully sooner rather than later, but I am very positive about this). I am looking forward to next Christmas in which I believe I will actually have a normal Christmas for the first time in a decade.
        helpme....you are strong and i know you'll do perfect in the future....as soon as a job opens up...you'll be right back where you want to be!!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          helpme....you are strong and i know you'll do perfect in the future....as soon as a job opens up...you'll be right back where you want to be!!
          Thanks tobee, I know your situation will go well too. I just want this discharge to happen asap so I can finally get my life back on track again.

Comment

Our biggest gift this year is time together. For the past 6 years either DH or I have had to work long hours right through the holiday season. With him out of work and me working from home FT we have lots of family time and we're taking advantage of all the free stuff we can do together (holiday festivals, santa w/kids, baking, decorating). we sold some things and set a tiny bit of money aside for the kids gifts on Christmas morning, but we have very generous parents that will indulge them as well. Luckily my kids are still at a young age (3) and don't really want high price items. Ebay and Craigslist are my friends!
            Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
              great thread olives....

we have most certainly notice changes.....we are so careful about every penny we spend...making it go as far as we can and going more for "needs" than wants...our list went from approx 20 to 5....that's it...and it's only for "kids"...no one else...not even each other.

clothing...grocery store gift cards....and my sister getting a new liver....(she's number 1 on the list and we are waiting daily and now truly know how little "things" matter)....that's all i want for Christmas....
              First- I'm going to keep your sister and family in my prayers. I hope she gets her need fulfilled soon.

We used to give to everyone- neighbors, our friends' children, people at work, etc. No more. I felt horrible year before last because one of the managers at DH's office gave all the other managers a $25 gift card to a package store. We had nothing to reciprocate because we just can't. And we have also bowed out of gift exchanges for family adults. DH's family (there are 5 siblings) and spouses used to do a Yankee Swap. We actually suggested it about 6 years ago because it was crazy trying to buy for everyone and some people just bought junk just so they can get something for everyone. I would rather have a heart felt Merry Christmas than a junk trinket that they wasted their money on just to have something to unwrap. So we did the Yankee Swap. The past two Christmases we bowed out of that, too. The ONLY adults other than DH (and that depends on if he needs anything) I buy for are our parents- and it comes from their grandchildren.
              Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post

Praying for the right job to come along for you and for a great new year to come!

Comment

Originally posted by october99 View Post
                  Our biggest gift this year is time together. For the past 6 years either DH or I have had to work long hours right through the holiday season. With him out of work and me working from home FT we have lots of family time and we're taking advantage of all the free stuff we can do together (holiday festivals, santa w/kids, baking, decorating). we sold some things and set a tiny bit of money aside for the kids gifts on Christmas morning, but we have very generous parents that will indulge them as well. Luckily my kids are still at a young age (3) and don't really want high price items. Ebay and Craigslist are my friends!
                  This is cool. Good for you. Unemployment and bk has definitely given me more time to spend with my girlfriend for the holidays which is nice. My parents are having some medical problems right now, so I am able to help them more as well. I think the best thing we can do during tough times is really enjoy the time we have with our loved ones. I try to milk everything I can out of Christmas season, so I put up the lights and tree, enjoy looking at christmas lights as I drive past them at night, enjoy seeing the displays, etc.

Nobody can take away my positive attitude and spirit during the holidays (but I heard Discover is working on ways to take away Christmas from the poor - ahhaahah)

Comment

Originally posted by october99 View Post
                    That is awesome! My best Christmas memory is of our first Christmas married. DH and I stayed up late Christmas Eve baking cookies, and it snowed. The next day we visited family and gave out our cookies as gifts. It was the best way to spend the holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by olivies View Post
                      First- I'm going to keep your sister and family in my prayers. I hope she gets her need fulfilled soon.

We used to give to everyone- neighbors, our friends' children, people at work, etc. No more. I felt horrible year before last because one of the managers at DH's office gave all the other managers a $25 gift card to a package store. We had nothing to reciprocate because we just can't. And we have also bowed out of gift exchanges for family adults. DH's family (there are 5 siblings) and spouses used to do a Yankee Swap. We actually suggested it about 6 years ago because it was crazy trying to buy for everyone and some people just bought junk just so they can get something for everyone. I would rather have a heart felt Merry Christmas than a junk trinket that they wasted their money on just to have something to unwrap. So we did the Yankee Swap. The past two Christmases we bowed out of that, too. The ONLY adults other than DH (and that depends on if he needs anything) I buy for are our parents- and it comes from their grandchildren.
                      thanks so much for your well wishes...i know it's going to be ok...because it has to....

you mean yankee swap...like yummy candles swaps??? wow....i love them...or did you mean pot roast....like it yankee pot roast???? orrrrrrrrr.....the ny yankee swap..where you swap out members of the team...LOL!!! sorry...just had to!

Comment

My husband was laid off last year. We're still pre-BK but watching our pennies closely. I've shopped some, but have done really well - I started in November (early) and because of that, I'm almost done except for my sewed gifts (aprons for the women in the family). I also will sell some aprons this season, as I've done for several years, which will allow me to pretty much break even on Christmas - might even come out ahead if things go well!

Comment

It's funny, we actually return some of the gifts we don't want and get the store gift cards and then turn around and buy our family presents from that. Funny if they did the same thing to us.

Comment

This Christmas is different because everything is bought with cash--no more credit cards. This means no bills after Christmas that I can't afford and therefore, I must stay within my budget. It's a very good feeling. My children range from ages 21 to 8 year old twins (they actually turn 8 on Christmas). I have told the older ones that things are tight so make a list with a couple of things and I will see what I can do. They were very understanding and only put a couple of affordable things on the list. The 8 year olds still believe in Christmas so I explained that Santa can't bring everything on your list because he has to give to a lot of kids. They are fine with that. My 21 year old isn't asking for anything. She's still home with me and just thankful for a roof over her head as she is seeing hard times trying her best to find a job after finishing school.

This is the 1st Christmas in a really long time that I am looking forward to it because it is finally not so commercialized in my house with how much money can I spend and rather about family time and being thankful for and what we do have. I am finally viewing this time of year as "beautiful" rather than dreaded.

Oh, my husband and I are buying modest gifts for one another. We will also buy a gift for our mothers (they are all we have as both of our father's passed away in recent years). This year we cannot afford to buy for our siblings, but they can't afford to buy for us either so we will give the gift of time--priceless.
                            Last edited by mommi2many; 12-04-2010, 01:41 PM. Reason: so you can understand :)
                            Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Thanksgiving went really well with my family. There was no discussion about my situation, so that was a welcome relief.

For Christmas, my girlfriend and I have been using our gift cards to buy presents, and are being really careful with how we spend our money. I bought a frame from Halmark for my niece, using a $10 off coupon and it still came out to $4.50 (I was complaining how much money that was, thinking who would spend $14.50 for a picture frame that says "our first baby's Christmas" - I told my girlfriend, next one is coming from the 99 cent store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I am being really cheap, even doing a little regifting for a couple family members. My parents are having some medical problems, so we have been going over there helping them set up the house, decorate, etc.

I am really looking forward to Christmas and trying my best to enjoy the holidays.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X