top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As an authorized user on fiance's account, will my BK affect his credit in anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an authorized user on fiance's account, will my BK affect his credit in anyway?

I have a question that even my attorney is not completely sure of and I wanted to get some different viewpoints, I guess you would say.

I am an authorized user on my fiance's credit cards (just two). I am, of course, filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy but I am unsure if my bankruptcy will affect his credit report, in regards to these two accounts. If it would, I would halt this process in its tracks so fast everyone's head would spin! The attorney is double-checking on that because she's not sure. Does anybody here have any experience with this? If it will affect him, I would rather he just have me removed. The attorney said all I would possibly need to do is re-affirm the debt. But I would, if at all possible, like to not include them but she wasn't certain that would be feasible.

Some clarity or insight into this would be so helpful. I can't seem to find out anyone's experience with this directly online. What say you?

No

But mistakes sometimes happen. If the BK is reported, the entry simply needs to be disputed.

Also, if YOU (the debtor) are the authorized user, you won't be listing those cards in your petition.

But let's be clear about what we are talking about
    An Authorized User is simply that, your fiance called his CC company, and authorized you to use the cards
    A Co-borrower is someone who jointly applied for the card and is therefore directly liable for the debt.

If you really are an Authorized User, I am not sure why your attorney would say anything about a reaffirmation. Here is how you can check if you are an Authorized User...call the bank and see if you can make a change to the account (e.g. change of address), if no, you are an Authorized User, if yes, you are a co-borrower.

Some states have some archaic laws that allow a creditor to go after Authorized Users if the user benefited from the use.

Comment

Well, after exhaustive searching and reading, at work no less but at least it is a Friday afternoon!, I think that's the conclusion I've come to as well. I'm just an authorized user and he uses a credit monitoring service so he'll be alerted if there are changes. I just wanted to be more sure than I was. I hope that I explained the situation correctly to my attorney since she did mention re-affirmation, which would be wholly unnecessary in this case. She may be thinking joint based on our very quick conversation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X