Proving Prescription Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Proving Prescription Expenses

My husband and I are each on a couple of prescription medications. 2 of the ones my husband are on are for his ADHD which he really needs in order to function at home and maintain his job. However, they are also really expensive, even with our insurance (which we pay for out of pocket). I've added it up and even w/our insurance we spend $700+ on prescriptions a month. We had been on COBRA before and had a lot better coverage and I had gone w/o my prescriptions for a few months during his unemployed to scrimp and save. I didn't realize we were going to be spending this much until just now, as we are just running out of what refills we had left on the previous insurance. What will I need to show in order to prove the additional medical expense in our bk filing? Will I just need receipts, the actual prescription, a quote from the insurance, or a letter of medical necessity from a dr.? This doesn't include occasional sick visits for our 3 kids and eye exams and glasses for my husband, myself and my oldest child. Will I need proof of occasional sick visits?
    Thanks!

I've kinda had to guess on this, too. But I do know that even in BK, you're still protected by HIPPA and ADA laws so you don't have to spread your whole medical history out for public record.

I had to switch coverage effective Jan 1st and I know that my past costs are really not much of an indication for what they'll be in the future. I'm just preparing an itemized monthly sheet that shows "tier 1 prescription $x", "tier 2 prescription..." etc. And I'm using the figures that the pharmacy has given me for costs. I probably won't have any refills when I file, so no receipts. The assumptions for your best-forward-looking guess should be ok, at least that's what two CO lawyers told me a month or so ago. You could produce a schedule of copays if you've got it. And I'm pretty sure a trustee will believe you when you say your kids might get sick every now and then. It sounds like if you're prepared to explain why your costs aren't the same as they used to be, you should be ok. They understand that those things change. Produce what documentation you can without compromising your privacy.

Will you be filing in Denver by chance? (don't answer that... it's private!)... if so, I've been told that there's only one unpleasant trustee and the rest are pretty reasonable to work with. If this is your area, then the odds are in your favor that you'll be able to explain the situation.
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Can you get a print out from the pharmacy with your copays? I did this along with the balance sheet of my flex-card. Peeps makes a good point though that you don't want to violate your own privacy. I'm wondering now if I can use these and omit details such as drug name or if I should just plan on doing a medical expense summary. I've also got a lot of medical bills I'm including. I wonder if any of those have personal medical details on them. Hmmm..?
      Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X