Looking for an attorney for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an attorney for a friend

I have a friend who has been hanging on for some time. A homeowner (I do not believe there is any equity in the home as it has been remortgaged several times) one vehicle with about 5k in equity (its crap, I can hardly believe its 5k but that is what he told them) and less money coming in than needed to pay the bills.

Met with one attorney who told them they would have to do a ch 13. I cannot believe that this is correct! If they cannot afford to make all of their bills now and have stopped paying their CC to make the rest of the ends meet, I just find it hard to believe, though I am not an attorney so maybe they are right.

This attorney charges a $4000 fee. Its two simple incomes, a house and a car??? I think that seems high. They have not paid him any money but he told them to go ahead and do the pre bk counseling and they have.....isnt that done right before filing? I think he just had them toss that money away because they cant come up with 4k in 6o days. Ugh!

I wish to assist them in finding another attorney, can I ask if anyone has had good experience with an attorney in Montgomery County Pennsylvania?

Thanks!
    I am NOT an attorney. This is NOT advice.

See if you can find posts by Ladycee..........I believe she may have been from there. Have not seen her on in awhile but was pming with me for a time. You could also go to the District Court website and go to atty. infor..................they usually list the atty's and trustees there. Most times, trustees have law offices and represent folks using others in their firms. Hope that helps.
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

If it is a Chapter 13 case, they are very complex, regardless of "just a house and a car". $4,000 is not out of the norm for this, BUT usually most attorney are willing to put at least a portion of those fees into a Chapter 13 plan. Chapter 13 versus Chapter 7 has many factors tied in, a visit with another attorney experienced in bankruptcy would be in order.
      Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you!
        I am NOT an attorney. This is NOT advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X