overdraft charge post got me thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overdraft charge post got me thinking

We just stopped paying our credit cards last month. Husband has sole proprietership business and he has been banking with Wells Fargo and has a Visa and a Mastercard for his business. We are including this in the bankruptcy. I just got the statements for last month and imagine my shock when I saw that they had "paid" the credit cards out of his checking account. The only thing is that there was only 1.72 cents in the checking account so of course these payments bounced. You got it they charged us 70.00 in overdraft fees. I am going to talk with my lawyer on Monday about this, but just wondered what you all think needs to happen. Yikes, this is complicated. Oh..we are filling Chapter 13 withing the next 14 days.

The overdraft fees will be listed as a debt on your petition. Be sure to close that account so they don't continue to charge account fees after you file, which would create post-petition overdraft fees which you would have to pay. If you haven't already done so, open an account at a bank where you have no debt.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks LadyInTheRed. We did already open another business account. I am going to tell my husband to close that account. I think he doesn't want to because he is embarrassed to go into the branch and do this, but it has to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by kjrmom911 View Post
        Thanks LadyInTheRed. We did already open another business account. I am going to tell my husband to close that account. I think he doesn't want to because he is embarrassed to go into the branch and do this, but it has to be done.
        Since there is no money to withdraw, he could just write a letter asking them to close it.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I had Bank of America and actually close the account with an e-mail. Got a check from them for about 3 bucks.

Comment

Do it by phone...
            Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            The overdraft fees will be listed as a debt on your petition. Be sure to close that account so they don't continue to charge account fees after you file, which would create post-petition overdraft fees which you would have to pay. If you haven't already done so, open an account at a bank where you have no debt.

Comment

Originally posted by kjrmom911 View Post
              I'll tell you why he doesn't want to do that; he's a man (as I am and know). That is what we have wives for. LOL. I believe banks should not honor auto pay arrangements if the account cannot handle them. It is usury to give you over draft fees when plainly the account was insolvent. It was not like you kited a check as the account was insolvent before they auto paid the bill. This hubby (lay it on his hands, he/we deserve it) should call and contest the OD fees, but then you would have to come up with the money to pay the bill even if they forgave the OD fee. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rustymich View Post
                Do it by phone...
                or online..... its how we opened our 2nd checking account. No fuss..no muss.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  I'll tell you why he doesn't want to do that; he's a man (as I am and know). That is what we have wives for. LOL. I believe banks should not honor auto pay arrangements if the account cannot handle them. It is usury to give you over draft fees when plainly the account was insolvent. It was not like you kited a check as the account was insolvent before they auto paid the bill. This hubby (lay it on his hands, he/we deserve it) should call and contest the OD fees, but then you would have to come up with the money to pay the bill even if they forgave the OD fee. 'Hub

LOL ..you are so right on the money! I am definitely the better communicator, but my name is not on this account. I will urge him to call and contest the fees, but we aren't paying the bill, cuz its credit cards that we are throwing in the bankruptcy, but I do think it is ridiculous that they withdrew money when there was none there and hadn't for a month. Anyways, you all had great advice and the online thing is genius...thanks for everything. You guys really are the best. Absolutely the best forum I've ever been part of!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X