top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would the Means Test treat eBay income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would the Means Test treat eBay income?

At least 70% of the income I have received over the past six months has been from selling web design services on eBay. I have been fairly lucky to get a steady stream of clients from eBay, but due to its nature there are no guarantees.

For example, if my eBay ad doesn't come up at the top of the search results for a week, I could go without any sales for a week. This has happened several times. If it happens for a month, I can't pay my mortgage or my car payment. If a competitor decides to launch a new service on eBay that is cheaper than mine, it could easily put me out of business.

Will the bankruptcy court take this into consideration when determining whether we qualify for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13, or is it all based on income only?

Whether your income is fluctuating or not, the determination still is income received over the previous 6 months. File when it is at the lowest average point.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I am very surprised that the whole eBay/Paypal issue has not been dealt with at the US Trustee level, with clear-cut rules regarding how such accounts are to be managed with respect to bankruptcy. A Paypal account is a great place to hide assets!

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
        I am very surprised that the whole eBay/Paypal issue has not been dealt with at the US Trustee level, with clear-cut rules regarding how such accounts are to be managed with respect to bankruptcy. A Paypal account is a great place to hide assets!
        Do bankruptcy trustees seize PayPal accounts? That is a big question that I have. I think I will make a new thread with the question.

Edit by Moderator: To avoid simultaneous conversations on the same question, please answer this question in the new thread: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...ht=#post517384
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 05-08-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X