Need some input....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some input....

I have a friend, yes really, my BK7 was discharged a few years ago. She is a divorced mother of two, with virtually NO SUPPORT from a deadbeat dad. Her wages are being garnished at this time, and even getting food is tough.

She had a BK7 discharged back in July '04.

Now... She's is going to file for a BK7 in July '11 but I told her she should have her atty proceed with filing paperwork NOW as a 13 to stop the garnishments so she can feed her kids.

Then... Have her atty file this motion or that motion and stall until July '11 and change it to a BK7.

How far off am I? JB, what do you think?

ANY input is appreciated. Thank you...
    Last edited by mattfro; 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

There have to be 8 years between filings, not 7, which would mean she wouldn't qualify for a ch.7 again until July 2012. The 13 is her only option until then.

She cannot convert her 13 to a 7 because when a conversion is made, the original filing date is used, and if she didn't qualify for a ch.7 discharge due to a previous bk, then she cannot convert. However, In July 2012, she can dismiss her ch.13 case and re-file as a ch.7 case.
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

My mistake! The 8 years is up in July.

Comment

In that case, the attorney fees to file the ch.13 would probably cost more than allowing the garnishment to continue for another 6 weeks. Since she'll have to dismiss and refile, she'd essentially be paying for 2 separate bankruptcies. It would probably just be best to wait and file the 7.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I agree with the just filing the CH 7.

One thing I would check into...if she is a single mother and having trouble feeding her kids, why hasn't she checked into some aid form either her county or state? Not a fan of welfare etc. but if I was in that situation, I would get food stamps to feed my kids and any other help I need that I could get. At least she works and tries to do right....lots of single mothers never hold a job, get free medical, rent, utilities and such......she should look into this.

Just a thought.
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

n

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinepa View Post
              I agree with the just filing the CH 7.

One thing I would check into...if she is a single mother and having trouble feeding her kids, why hasn't she checked into some aid form either her county or state? Not a fan of welfare etc. but if I was in that situation, I would get food stamps to feed my kids and any other help I need that I could get. At least she works and tries to do right....lots of single mothers never hold a job, get free medical, rent, utilities and such......she should look into this.

Just a thought.
              Excellent suggestion. She should also try her local food bank. You can find one by county at
              http://www.foodbankrockies.org/site/...name=Find_Help My understanding is that getting help from a food bank doesn't require all of the red tape that government aid does. So, it's helpful for people who need help getting through a couple of months.
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X