Stay Violations Should Be Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay Violations Should Be Pursued

I'm just reading the case of a Massachusetts debtor that was, quite frankly, harassed by Verizon after she had filed for bankruptcy. She continued to receive bills and threats of termination of service. They actually did, at one point, terminate her service until the Attorney intervened. The attorney, in her case, immediately filed a stay violation because of a letter demanding she pay and a phone call insisting the same. This was even after the attorney responded that they would not provide any more information.

Before the hearing on the first stay violation, Verizon issued yet another bill and demand for payment. Verizon didn't show up for the first hearing on the matter, but the debtor's attorney was unable to get a ruling since there was new evidence (at this "non-evidentiary" hearing). So, Verizon responded after some delays. Before the matter went for an evidentiary hearing, they settled. It was "not disclosed".

The best part!!! The parties submitted a "stipulated" dismissal of the charges due to a settlement. The judge set the matter for a final hearing. At the final hearing, the judge asked the amount and Verizon's attorney basically "refused" to answer. The dialogue is priceless!!!

MR. BERLINER (Debtor's Attorney): It got settled with a payment of a sum certain.

THE COURT: Okay, well, it’s nice that it was certain. How much money was it?

MR. WEISS (Verizon Attorney): Your Honor, Steven Weiss on behalf of Verizon New England. The settlement agreement did provide for a confidentiality agreement. And I would prefer that it not be disclosed in open court.

THE COURT: Okay. Well, it’s rejected then, and the stipulation of dismissal is struck. So when are you ready to go to trial?

MR. BERLINER: I think we’re ready to disclose the amount, Your Honor, if the Court would consider it.

THE COURT: Okay.

MR. BERLINER: $20,000.

Source: PACER Massachusetts Bankruptcy Court https://ecf.mab.uscourts.gov/doc1/094115552550 (FYI, this is a PACER document and there may be a cost to retrieve this transcript.)
    The opinion can be read here. It's a PACER document, but since it's an opinion, it's free to view. https://ecf.mab.uscourts.gov/doc1/094016158190

Yes, $20,000 for a very simple stay violation. It turned out to be $9.221 in attorney fees and the rest to the Debtor. Do you want to know what the bill was for, from Verizon? The bill as approximately $1,340.

I'm not saying that we should do this just to make some money. I am saying that if we continue to IMMEDIATELY file motions for sanctions for stay violations as soon as they occur, then, perhaps, the violators will get a message. This case was really about Verizon trying to cover up their mess up. The fact that they paid $20K in this particular case, is rather astounding.

(Note: I did something similar with a utility company. The facts were almost identical in this case. I too settled with the company. I did not get $20K probably because I didn't have $9K in attorney fees, but I did ask for a sum certain of $12K in my complaint. However, I went the complaint route rather than the motion/contest matter route.)
    Last edited by justbroke; 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

LOL re: judge / attorney response - and ....WOW! Thats a nice paycheck for violation Good for the debtor!

I agree that if blatant then stay violations should be pursued, however make note and be prepared for it to take a while. We're at month 8 and just had court last week, and I just checked PACER for any updates... nothing as of yet from the court re: decision. Hopefully will be this week.

Comment

Thanks for posting, great read. And like Pandora, I love the judge's response, hehe

I'm still in a battle with the State and a tax garnishment. I just spoke with a state's attorney (she called me). She said "we are trying to get this garnishment stopped but it looks like your company has sent us another check, so far we have 3 checks from them since you have filed....maybe they have not received the letter we sent in the mail etc...."

So I gave her the phone number and fax number to my company....which they could have easily found themselves since they served the initial order of garnishment...and I corrected her on the number of checks so far...."No, I have been garnished 8 times since I've filed." (I'm paid weekly.)...she said sometimes they hold the checks....

And she added as a side note..."You do know you owe the money regardless right?" My response: "I sure do, thanks! And I intend to pay regardless, just not at 25% of my net pay each week, that's ridiculous." She said she understood and was currently working on the issue.

Such a darn pain in the hind parts, I figured getting the garnishment stopped would be a major pain. Should I contact my payroll department myself, will that do any good?

Not sure I want to take on the state in the court system for violating the automatic stay...I can imagine the nightmare of that situation.

As far as any other creditors violating the automatic stay, I haven't had one. Well, one call or two a few days after I filed but I simply gave them my case number and the phones suddenly went silent.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Best of good luck to you disconapper!!!

I have a finance co calling me - six times so far - trying to collect. Atty said he's filing complaint in a few days. I hate to sound cold, but I could use every penny :-)

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
          Best of good luck to you disconapper!!!

I have a finance co calling me - six times so far - trying to collect. Atty said he's filing complaint in a few days. I hate to sound cold, but I could use every penny :-)
          Thanks IamOld! Go get em!

If it were anyone other than the state and it were dischargeable debt, I would definitely pursue them in the courts...but I think I have a hard uphill battle on this one....
          Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

:-)

Thanks! Re state - I agree...BUT they still need to "get with the program" so to speak!!!

Originally posted by disconapper View Post
            Thanks IamOld! Go get em!

If it were anyone other than the state and it were dischargeable debt, I would definitely pursue them in the courts...but I think I have a hard uphill battle on this one....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X