top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a BK discharge, do credit card accounts with zero balances remain open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a BK discharge, do credit card accounts with zero balances remain open?

I will be filing Ch 7 BK, and have three store credit cards which I have had for several years. Two have never been used, and one hasn't been used for years and has had a zero balance.

All three accounts are open and show the monthly status on my credit report.

After the BK is over and done, will these accounts be closed?

If they had a zero balance and weren't included in your petition then they probably won't close. I have a JCPenney account with a zero balance that was still open, I did not know that until after I filed, I don't even have the card. Course I guess it depends on the store and if they somehow catch wind of the bankruptcy and decide to close the account per their policy, then that's that.
    Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

There's actually no way to tell if the account will ever close! There are many members on BKForum that had cards "survive" bankruptcy, only to have them cancelled weeks or even months after discharge. Many creditors perform "periodic" reviews and when they see the bankruptcy on the credit report -- from the periodic "account review" -- they will usually close the account with all due haste. (Periodic review is a pull of your credit report and a rescore to see if you owe other creditors are it appears that you are insolvent.)
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It is hard to tell what will happen. When I filed my Chapter 13, I received a letter from Nieman Marcus saying that they were cancelling my store credit card ( I wasn't carrying a balance with them and never have). They still send me all of the promotional materials of a cardholder and are still reporting to all 3 credit bureaus that I have an open line of credit and am current.

Comment

My wife had a JC Penny card with a zero balance prior to BK. Because of the past due amounts on other credit cards, JC Penny closed her account.
          Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
          Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

What about a Medical Credit card? I have one with Care Credit that has a zero balance. Funny thing is, most credit cards are provided by GE Money Bank (GEMB).
            This ons is General Electric Company.

Comment

my Macy's card survived
              Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
              Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
              Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Agree with other posts, some will, most won't. I personally have about 6 store cards, never used them because of the high interest rates, don't really care if they are open or closed.
                Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                341 5/23/11
                DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

I'm with you on that sunshine...I could care less if JC Penney survives "the rapture"...LOL....
                  Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Yeah Discon, we just want our victory dance right? LOL
                    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                    341 5/23/11
                    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X