top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it typically take before a creditor threatens legal action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't paid squat since March of 2009, and I have debts with two of the most litigous creditors--approximately $7k with Discover and approximately $26k with Citi. And guess what? No lawsuit yet. I guess the fact that I am unemployed (now a full-time student) and do not have any real estate, vehicles, or investments titled in my name--as well as tons of collections and charge-offs--has convinced the collection attorneys that suing would be unprofitable.

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
      I haven't paid squat since March of 2009, and I have debts with two of the most litigous creditors--approximately $7k with Discover and approximately $26k with Citi. And guess what? No lawsuit yet. I guess the fact that I am unemployed (now a full-time student) and do not have any real estate, vehicles, or investments titled in my name--as well as tons of collections and charge-offs--has convinced the collection attorneys that suing would be unprofitable.
      I am guessing, probably when you do become employed, that they might change their mind about suing. Capital One sued me within a year for 8k. I can't imagine Citi card will just let 26k go without taking action at some point.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Citibank was the first to sue for us - at the 10 month mark. This was 2 weeks ago. We are filing ch. 13 next week. We have about 15 creditors altogether, between medical debt, cc, and HOA. All are 10 months delinquent.

Comment

I stopped paying Citibank only four months ago and they are now sueing me. I stopped paying all other creditors 8 months ago and most don't even call anymore. If a CA calls me, I sent them a letter asap telling them to stop contacting me.

Comment

I stopped paying three years ago. The collection letters have dropped considerably. I think the foreclosure on the credit report and staying off the grid has them looking elsewhere for low hanging fruit. I'm not concern about lawsuits before sol kicks in, but more focused on if I owe the IRS and the state taxing authority back taxes. Just need to get the records, so I can get these way over due tax returns filed to see I owe or not.

Originally posted by DYLAN150 View Post
            I stopped paying Citibank only four months ago and they are now sueing me. I stopped paying all other creditors 8 months ago and most don't even call anymore. If a CA calls me, I sent them a letter asap telling them to stop contacting me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X