Do I need to take the means test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to take the means test?

So I was reading that you take the means test if most of your debt is consumer debt. Mine is not. It's medical and an accident. I do have lots of student loans but can't bankrupt on them. So Do I take it?

Medical and student loans would both be considered consumer debt if I understand correctly. I think you will need to take the means test

Comment

Medical bills for necessary medical expenses - non-consumer debt. Student loans for educational expenses - non-consumer debt. Student loans for living expenses - consumer debt.

Comment

Everyone "takes" the means test, it's part of your bankruptcy petition. Visit a bankruptcy lawyer in your area, your debt is consumer debt.
        Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Unless you were running a business and accumulating debt for it all your debt is consumer debt.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
            Unless you were running a business and accumulating debt for it all your debt is consumer debt.
            income taxes are considered non-consumer debt

Comment

Non-consumer debt is easily identified by the purpose it serves. Most non-consumer debt acts as an investment in the quality of life of an individual, as opposed to consumer debt, which refers to purchases such as automobiles, clothing, vacations and other consumer goods. In most instances, non-consumer debt includes expenses for starting or running a business, necessary medical bills, capital and real estate investments, state and federal taxes and student loans.

We have filed non-consumer BK7 and the means test was left blank. You can be making lots of money and still get a BK7 non-consumer discharge from your debts. Talk to an attorney in your area with BK7 non-consumer filing experience.
              Chap 7 Non-consumer --Realized headed for bankruptcy Nov 2010 --Started planning BK7 Spring 2011 -- Filed Sept 2011 -- 341 & Continued 341 Meetings Nov 2011 --No Asset Case Nov 2011 --Discharged Jan 2012 --Closed Feb 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X