Riip Off the Band-Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riip Off the Band-Aid

I read this excellent article "Rip Off the Band-Aid" on a blog I really like (The Art of Manliness. and I have no affiliation with the blog, just a reader.) The point of the article is really about how we tend to endure the slower and less intense pain of a particular situation rather than endure the more intense but faster pain of an alternate solution. Bottom line is to go ahead and rip-off the band-aid quickly and endure the short, sharp pain instead of slowly peeling it off and making it hurt for much longer.

I know that I had this exact problem when I was faced with bankruptcy. I kept thinking something would change to allow me to make a different choice, all the while living with the stress of the calls, the constant gnawing feeling in your gut and never being able to get away from all that mentally and just enjoy your days again.

In the end, bankruptcy was the best choice. I liken it to spilling a glass of milk. Some people just look at it and say, "why bother, I'll never get the milk back in the glass." Other people respond immediately and set the glass back upright and start cleaning up the mess. I understand both responses, but in the end the sooner you set the glass back up, the sooner you can enjoy another glass of milk!

So to those of you who are on the fence, if you are worried about enduring the short term pain of filing, just get on with it. You will be much happier to have it all behind you. That being said, there are certainly strategic situations where delaying your filing makes sense, but most of us delayed because we didn't want to admit defeat or thought some magical event would transport us out of our situation.
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

i dunno, personally i rather have a quick hard smack to the face and be knocked down and get up, then to get picked at with a pair of tweeters until my skin was raw, and keep bleeding and bleeding until i go down.

one with think choice number one would be easier to pull one's self up quicker. good read!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I so needed to read this! Thanks for the great analogy.
      Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
      Discharged! June 28, 2012
      Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        i dunno, personally i rather have a quick hard smack to the face and be knocked down and get up, then to get picked at with a pair of tweeters until my skin was raw, and keep bleeding and bleeding until i go down.
        This scenario is what 'Hub and I endured for nine years with our Enemy continually picking at us with the tweezers. He kept expecting us to cave; we didn't. But it did cost us financially and drove us into bk.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          This scenario is what 'Hub and I endured for nine years with our Enemy continually picking at us with the tweezers. He kept expecting us to cave; we didn't. But it did cost us financially and drove us into bk.

i hope that one got rolled over and passed through the karma chain of command. i'm sure he got his. i like to go through life hoping there is a very "special" place for those kind of people. if you can even call them human.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X