What can creditors and collectors do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can creditors and collectors do?

hi, i just recently decided to file a chapter 7, i'm on disability and have to make payments to an attorney i found. The payments are around 200-300 a month, he said the lowest he'll go is 75$ a month, but i want to get this over with as soon and quickly as i can. so its going to probably take about 5-6 months to fully pay him and start filing, he said if any creditors or collectors call me to call him, and i was just wondering what exactly they can do to me in the 5-6 months its taking to pay my attorney, any help will be much appreciated, as i am severely stressed out and have enormous anxiety issues along with several symptoms that get worse with stress and anxiety, i'm just looking for something to put my mind at ease. thank you

Once your attorney files, the automatic stay blesses you with relief, as your creditors cannot sue you, or call you. All is on hold. So, if you can get it all together and get your case filed, you will be better off. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

If the attorney isn't going to file until you pay him in full what difference does it make how low your payments are?
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Until you file, creditors can call you a lot and try to scare you into paying the debt. They can file a lawsuit, eventually get a judgement and then try to collect on it by garnishing your wages (if allowed in your state) and attaching your bank accounts. They can also go after your non-exempt personal property, but that is unusual. They might also put a judgement lien on your house if you have one. If you just recently stopped making payments on your debt, they are unlikely to get a judgement and start garnishment before you file in 5 to 6 months. But, if any creditor does get a judgment before you file, you can have the judgements vacated after the underlying debts are discharged in your bankruptcy.

If having the creditors call will be stressful for you, try using Google Voice.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X