top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Groceries: Food, baby food, diapers, baby formula, pet food-exempt under federal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groceries: Food, baby food, diapers, baby formula, pet food-exempt under federal?

In our situation we are going to have to stop on our cards about 9 months prior to filing. A lot of that money will go to childcare while my wife is still working, but by the time we file she will be laid off, so there will be money left over, plus I'm going to sell a vehicle that we own outright to keep it from getting taken from us. Some of that cash will go to a new vehicle for my wife, but again, there will be cash left over. Shop Rite has just started their "Can Can" sale which will last from now through March-you can get super deals on all kinds of food, canned and otherwise, especially if you hunt for coupons. We have a large pantry and a chest freezer so we can really stock up on food with some of this money as long as it would be considered exempt. Likewise with baby formula, diapers, wipes, etc... Finally, we have large Rubbermaid containers that have old clothes in them now (we're going to donate them since they're worth nothing to us anyway) that would be perfect for stockpiling dog food.

Basically, I'm thinking that the benefit here would be twofold: First, we'll be saving cash from being taken in BK (assuming this is permitted), second, we'll lighten the load as far as groceries post BK as my wife will be on unemployment. Does anyone know if spending a lot of money on non-perishable food prior to BK (I'm talking months prior, not the day before filing) will raise eyebrows, or is food pretty much sacred? If we play our cards right we could get enough canned goods and other non-perishables that could provide 80% of supplies for a year-maybe more. Grocery trips would just be for fresh foods, milk, eggs, (I'm actually considering getting laying hens post BK), etc...which would allow more money to put into savings. Anybody else use this strategy or see a potential problem with it?

I think your plan is workable. Purchase more long term storeables than freezer items though. budget out your extra food monies and shop in the same frequency as you would for your weekly needs. Pet food is not acceptable for inclusion in your plan though. People food is. Clothing you may need in the future for wear and tear, buy it now. A car that does not exceed your car exemption is good. You are not planning to hide assets when you do what you are stating to do. This is only good planning. Until you file, your money is your money. You can do anything you want with it. Purchasing luxury stuff though and them bk is obviously abusing the system since you do NOT need luxuries, but you do need food in your future. Good thinking. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

yes, diapers keep for ever! they have wonderful shelf life don't forget to get different sizes. i would get diaper creams...expensive formula if she's not going to breast feed. baby food is so EXPENSIVE!! just be careful and watch the dates on the jars. you all are luckier than i was, in those days i had to make all my own baby food since all the store carried were loaded with preservatives and yucks.

diapers diapers and MORE diapers one would think or be hopeful that even those harsh cold trustees wouldn't consider diapers a luxury. (i hope!)
      Last edited by tobee43; 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks-I am now planning our grocery trips around stocking the pantry in addition to our regular weekly needs. We even got a trial membership to the local warehouse club so that might be worth checking out-I know you can get good deals on diapers there!

Comment

All I can add here is that I thank my lucky stars that I don't have the expense of diapers anymore!
          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
            All I can add here is that I thank my lucky stars that I don't have the expense of diapers anymore!
            Yes, I understand but don't count on it. At my age, the event reoccurs. LOLOL. Don't forget, we come into this World naked, are dressed in diapers, dressed by someone else. When close to leaving, same routine. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              Yes, I understand but don't count on it. At my age, the event reoccurs. LOLOL. Don't forget, we come into this World naked, are dressed in diapers, dressed by someone else. When close to leaving, same routine. 'Hub
              ah, I forgot about the tail end of life! HA! I better start saving now.....Thanks for brightening MY day
              Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X