Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have GV - but Chase got through

Hi,

I answered today and it was Chase on my cell. They wanted to verify my information. Ugh! I just told them that I didn't have money to pay. They said I was 3 months behind and at about 7 months it will be turned over to collection. She said the collection people, "weren't very nice". She asked if I worked, and I said yes, but wouldn't give information. I said I was mainly a student.

I said I would not set up payment arrangements, etc.

I really don't want to say I'm going to file BK or have an attorney as I am worried they will sue sooner than later.

Is there a good app to block calls on my iPhone?

Thanks!

Lynn

Others will probably find you as well.
    I have a dumbphone, so I just don't pick up for any numbers I don't recognize.
    Otherwise you can block this number. But be advised, they have lots of numbers to call you from.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

you mean as opposed to a smart one? ( i couldn't help it!)
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
        Others will probably find you as well.
        Otherwise you can block this number. But be advised, they have lots of numbers to call you from.
        I have noticed that there are numerous different numbers from the same company. Oh I cannot wait to file!!!

Comment

Citibank started calling my GV number once I defaulted (I had "updated my information" about a month prior to defaulting) and after about two weeks they called my cell phone. I just didn't answer-they would sometimes call on the GV number and sometimes on the cell. Then about three weeks in they called me at work. I explained that I could not take personal calls. The girl on the phone was very nice and said "what number can we call you on?" I gave the GV number and said that they may not call me on any other number at any time. She cheerfully complied and ended the call. They've been calling the GV number everyday about 4-5 times a day since. Maybe try that the next time Chase calls? Also, make sure your VM message on GV clearly states your name and address. That's what creditors get when they call mine. Also-I would not give ANY information over the phone (working, not working, etc...)-I just say "Sorry, I don't discuss financial matters over the phone."

Comment

Thanks for the information! I am really worried that they will call me at work. I am not there very much as I work 12 hour shifts, so if people started callling a lot, I'm not there anyway. I did say I wouldn't give more information. So your GV message has your name and address? I will change it. I just have the default message. Thanks!

Originally posted by Diesel73L View Post
            Citibank started calling my GV number once I defaulted (I had "updated my information" about a month prior to defaulting) and after about two weeks they called my cell phone. I just didn't answer-they would sometimes call on the GV number and sometimes on the cell. Then about three weeks in they called me at work. I explained that I could not take personal calls. The girl on the phone was very nice and said "what number can we call you on?" I gave the GV number and said that they may not call me on any other number at any time. She cheerfully complied and ended the call. They've been calling the GV number everyday about 4-5 times a day since. Maybe try that the next time Chase calls? Also, make sure your VM message on GV clearly states your name and address. That's what creditors get when they call mine. Also-I would not give ANY information over the phone (working, not working, etc...)-I just say "Sorry, I don't discuss financial matters over the phone."

Comment

Before I filed Capital One called me on 25 different phone numbers. Basically I just put them in a contact list and checked the "send to voicemail" option. I had to clear out my voicemail a lot but I didn't need to listen to the phone ring. I didn't know about GV and by the time I found out about it they had stop calling and starting suing! LOL.
              Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
                Thanks for the information! I am really worried that they will call me at work. I am not there very much as I work 12 hour shifts, so if people started callling a lot, I'm not there anyway. I did say I wouldn't give more information. So your GV message has your name and address? I will change it. I just have the default message. Thanks!

Yes-It doesn't guarantee that they won't call elsewhere, but it does let them know that they're not barking up the wrong tree and that its not a case of identity theft, etc... You can customize VMs for different callers-read through the help tutorial on how to do this. Basically, you capture a number (ie: one that Chase just called on) and add it to a group. I created a custom group called "creditors." Anytime a phone number from the creditors group calls, they are sent straight to VM (my cell phone doesn't ring at all) where they hear "You've reached xxxxxxx xxxxxx at xxxxxxx Road xxxxxxxxx, NJ xxxxxxx" Sometimes they leave an automated message, sometimes they don't. Any number not in the creditor group rings through to my cell phone-if I don't pick up they hear "Hi this is xxxxxxx, please leave a message."

Comment

I'd suggest having two GV numbers. One for collectors, one for friends/family/work. Don't give out your "real" landline or cellphone. People will simply call your GV number, which will be forwarded to your landline/cell. If a creditor gets hold of your actual landline or cell number, just have that number changed. Set your GV number to forward to the new landline/cell, and you're back in business.

Another thing I do, is periodically export (or back-up) the list of contacts for my creditor GV number. I assign each number a name (just google any unknown numbers that call), and if I can't find a company name, I list it as "Unknown Collector". I also assign each one to a group called "Debt Collector". Now...I export all the contacts in the "Debt Collector" group. I then import them into my real GV number (the one I give friends/family). In that GV account, I set the group Debt Collector to be blocked. So...a collector can call the creditor GV number I have setup, they'll get through, can leave a message, etc. If they find out what my other GV number is, they'll (probably) just get an out of service message (and if they get through, I just hop on my GV account and immediately block that number). Easy peasy! Haven't had a single collector get through, I can deal with the messages on MY schedule.
                  Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

Thanks - I'm going to have to take some time this week and check some more of the options on GV.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel73L View Post
                      Yes-It doesn't guarantee that they won't call elsewhere,

In my experience it guarantees the exact opposite in most cases - they will be calling anyone and everyone and their seventh cousin three-times-removed so be prepared for that route...which serves the purpose of sheer and willful harassment ONLY but is unfortunately legal...

but it does let them know that they're not barking up the wrong tree and that its not a case of identity theft, etc...

I believe that you give these leeches *WAY* too much credit. Do you honestly believe that any of them care about anything else apart from squeezing a payment out of you, even if your kids were to starve the next day?
                      Good luck to us all.
                      No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                        In my experience it guarantees the exact opposite in most cases - they will be calling anyone and everyone and their seventh cousin three-times-removed so be prepared for that route...which serves the purpose of sheer and willful harassment ONLY but is unfortunately legal...
                        You get all kinds of opinions on this site-some call it smart use of technology, others call it "head in the sand." All I know is that so far its working-if it stops working I'll certainly report on my experience. And no, I'm not "giving them credit." They do have at least some interest in finding the correct person to suck the life out of. I'm well aware that these people are the scum of the earth.

Comment

We had GV for 6 months before we filed in December, it worked wonderfully! No other calls to anyone, just be clear about your identity and contact info like your mailing address. None of our creditors felt the need to call our work places or relatives. We had BOA, Chase, Citi, Discover as our main creditors.

Comment

The craziest thing is it seems like Wyndham Resort is calling more than anyone. Our timeshare is paid off (has been for years) - we decided we are going to turn it in and the other one we have, but we stopped paying the maintenance in December. They are calling at least 3-5 times per day. They also are using a local area code, which tripped me up at first. The calls are on my cell from them.

Geez!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X