BK,,Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK,,Questions

as i mentioned in another thread, i am behind on CC three years. Havent had any attempts at law suits yet. I hesitate to file BK because i rent my apt..and future, apts where i live. I know most apts. wont rent to you if you have a BK..my current apt doesnt rent to BK but i am already in and assume they dont check creddit reports when you renew. Plus, alot of employyers use BK against you in the hiring process. I am at a job i plan to stay awhile, so that isnt really a cocnern, what does concern me, is they do look at your report if you are promoted, and i would like to have a higher position with the company one day..i just dont know what to do..i have about 2 more yrs until the SOL is out, and 4 until it is off my credit( which is better than the ten yrs BK on my record)..just dont know...any one have any experience with my issues??

As long as you're not paying anyone, you're on the right track...sort of.

That being said - if they sue, you file BK, and deal with consequences later. It's really that simple. As bad as BK may look on your credit report, debt settlement won't look any better...

No one can say whether you'll get before your debts hit SOL.

I'm also quite doubtful that one could see a promotion on your credit report...

My $0.02 only...

Good luck to us all.
    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

yes, i am just kinda waiting it out for now...hoping the creditors dont sue..if they do, i will do the BK..i have no $$$..i earn ten bucks an hr..and am a student..have an old car.i figure they arent seeing anything worth taking on mt credit reoprt and figure its not worth it..everything is in collections now, anywa. I am beyond debt settlement..collections agencies own the debts now..

Comment

Huh...with a $10/h wages and an old car, there's really not much of anything for them to take, even if they were to win a judgment.

There's a lot on this forum written about making oneself collection proof. Read on it and lay low.

My $0.02 only...

Good luck to us all.
        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

i am afraid of wage garnishment.

Comment

Wait as long as you can to file. Does your job have health benefits? If yes, then file BK when necessary. If you don't have benefits, then trying to be collection proof makes more sense. You have to wait 8yrs until you can file again so you run the risk of a health issue sinking you in debt without health benefits. It is actually illegal to discriminate in hiring against someone for having filed BK. Can't remember the federal law. Unless you are hiring as a CFO there shouldn't be a problem. Small companies may be able to get away with it but large corporations will have a policy to not discriminate. As for staying in your current job and apartment: ask yourself if it is worth it to them ($'s) to periodically check credit reports. I'm guessing no, so I wouldn't worry about those aspects of BK. Finally, you can usually get a free consultation with a BK lawyer on your situation to help you decide on the right course of action. Definitly, cruise this website for great information and ideas. Relax, think, get advice, then act. BK is a business decision not a personal one.
            Lawyer - $3000
            Filing fee - $299
            Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

I work for a very large corporation. They no longer include credit checks in the hiring process. I'm assuming only that a lot of the bigger corporations don't as well. I've never understood what credit has to do with whether or not you'll be a good employee so I'm glad we no longer use credit as a basis to employ someone! I've also seen on other strings that it't easy to rent with a BK or bad credit. I don't know for sure, but I'm hoping that's the case! Good luck!

Comment

The only time anyone has pulled a credit report on me for a job was when I was taking a job as a branch manager for a bank (btw: the bank I worked for went under...maybe I should have pulled credit on them first right?...LOL). Only in a situation where you are around or responsible for large amounts of money would it even make sense.

Comment

A bankruptcy filing would likely show up if a prospective employer did a "background check" on you as it is a public record. Judgements typically appear during these as well for the same reason (they are public records).

Like Drazil noted, the only time my credit was ever pulled for employment was when I was in a cash-handling or bondable type of position.
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X