Just starting this process...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting this process...........

my hubby and I have just got back from seeing a credit counselor who recommended bankruptcy we have a appointment to see a lawyer in two days. I'm feeling really sad about all of this and don't know what to expect. Our bills are all cc debt we are current on the house and never was behind with them so I'm hoping we get to keep our home it's the one thing that matters to me as it's been my family for many generations. We were keeping our heads above water barley and I just could not take it anymore and want to live a cash only lifestyle which will be a major change for me. I feel like a addict who is just gonna start rehab. Pam

Welcome, its very common to feel sad and a whole other emotions as you come to the realization that you cannot do it any longer. Read everything you can here on this forum, its priceless. Good on the consult with attorney, try to go to 2 or 3 (or more) until you are very comfortable with one (they will be free consults). Start making your bankruptcy plan, believe it or not it take a plan. It actually makes you feel more in control as you gain knowledge and plan out your every move. Its actually freeing and those milestones are precious. Research Google Voice then set it up and change/update your contact info, this alone will be a saving grace for you to get through the process.

We have all either been there or in the middle of it as we speak, lots of really good stuff here and really great people. Ask lots of questions, we are all here for you.

Comment

Welcome to BKforum, Pam! If you are starting rehab, you've come to the right place for information and support! I'm glad you found a good credit counselor that didn't try to steer you into a debt management plan when bankruptcy is more appropriate for you.

I wasn't behind on any payments before I started looking for a solution to my debt problem and decided bankruptcy was my only option. It's a good place from which to start your new financial life. Without the pressure of phone calls from collectors and pending lawsuits, you can take your time to interview a few bankruptcy attorneys and choose one you are comfortable with. You can then take whatever time you need to get ready to file.

Take some time to read some posts here, including the stickies in the General Bankruptcy, Chap 7 and Chap 13 forums to get an idea of what the bankruptcy process is like. Then post whatever questions you still have. This forum can really help with the basics so that you can use attorney consultations to ask educated and specific questions about your situation.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you for your support. We are current on all cards except one should I keep them current till we file or as our counselor told us to talk to the lawyer although she had a relative who went though the process and there lawyer told them it was like throwing money in the river. I will start reading threads.

Pam

Comment

Hi pamkev, welcome. There is a lot of good information here. Maybe take your time, but if you do decide to file for sure, you'll probably want to eventually stop paying on your cards. Most cards will not survive a bankruptcy anyway, and you may need that money for necessary expenses.

Comment

If you know you are going to file BK, stop paying the ccs. It is like throwing money down the toilet. Start saving that money for your eventual attorney.

Good luck to you.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X