Another Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Question

Can they make you get rid of your cell phones and cable to pay your creditors we have to file chapter 13 make to much for chapter 7.

I didn't have to get rid of mine in my Ch 13, although my attorney did tell me, the Trustee frowns upon having a cell phone, and a landline phone.
    Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
    Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

We are in a 13 and our TT was fine with both a cell phone and home phone; and we have 3 cell phones in the house bc we have a 16 yr old who has one and both my husband and I have cell phones. She did note that the bill was high but never-the-less allowed it. Also, yes, we were allowed to keep our cable as well.

Comment

It really comes down to what is considered necessary living expenses. If a trustee thinks your expenses are higher than necessary, he/she may object. If after an objection you can't reach an agreement with the trustee as to what is a reasonable expense, you make your arguments to the judge who will decide. Nobody will make you cancel your cell phones or cable. But, you may have to lower those expenses on your Schedule J and then figure out how to pay them from saving in other areas. A good attorney who regularly files Chap 13s in your district should have an idea of what the trustee is likely to object to.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you so much we are just at the start of this process

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X