Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12,000 debt @ $12/hr in Illinois

55 years old.

90% is consumer credit at 20%+ interest. I went thru thousands in savings during recent unemployment to keep everything current.

I found work I do in a dying industry trending toward temp help for workforce.

Recently (Jan2012) I had an emergency visit for anxiety (didn't know it at the time) resulting in $4,500 bill. Thankfully charity care took care of $3,700.

I'll get health care after a few months at new job.

Bad back, knees, et al. But, I got heart.........I am trying.

Being heavy into animal charity started me to debt. But, things were decent a few years ago. Now, I use my maxed out credit for basic needs.

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.....................

I really hate to file Chapter 7, however.............................

Hi and welcome to the board!
    You are lucky to have found a job at 55. I know, cuz we are in the same boat and trying.

What's your house/car situation? That's a big key.
    The good news is your debt isn't huge. Are you making payments? Regardless of what your plans are, you should probably stop.
    You may be able to work out a settlement for 3k or less. Call a few attorneys and set up some free consultations.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
      Hi and welcome to the board!
      You are lucky to have found a job at 55. I know, cuz we are in the same boat and trying.

What's your house/car situation? That's a big key.
      The good news is your debt isn't huge. Are you making payments? Regardless of what your plans are, you should probably stop.
      You may be able to work out a settlement for 3k or less. Call a few attorneys and set up some free consultations.
      I share a 2 bedroom apartment with a long-time friend. She and I each pay 1/2 of costs.

I own 2 vehicles........both 20+ years old. Other than that, I own zilch.

I have a couple vices.........smoking and gambling. I used credit cards to fund about $300 last year into an ADW account. Nothing serious, just a little pleasure venture.

Comment

If gambling is part of the problem, you may want to work on that. You will never get your fresh start if you can't fix that.
        You are probably a slam-dunk 7, no problem. Or could be you could settle for what an attorney would cost you. I've had offers as low as 13%. They won't work with you if you keep paying, tho. How many cc's do you owe?
        Make a few phone calls tomorrow.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

If gambling is part of the problem, you may want to work on that. You will never get your fresh start if you can't fix that.
          You are probably a slam-dunk 7, no problem. Or could be you could settle for what an attorney would cost you. I've had offers as low as 13%. They won't work with you if you keep paying, tho. How many cc's do you owe?
          Make a few phone calls tomorrow.
          Gambling......I TOTALLY agree with you on that. Realistically, one can't be funding a wagering account a few hundred dollars here and there, and then find they can't pay their credit obligations.

I need people to work with me, but I gotta work with myself first.

I've been having trouble sleeping the past couple years. I'm taking an OTC sleeping aid (Melatonin).

I need to work this out.

Comment

Get yourself to GA TODAY.
            Also, friend of mine had great success with hypnosis. Just a thought. Could be your insurance will cover some/all when it kicks in.
            Good luck, keep us posted.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I've had my job for 5 weeks. Weekly hours have been..........35, 45, 22, 45, and 50.

It's the 3rd time in 10 years I've worked for this company. The other 2x I worked for them they basically ran out of work and hours went to minimum.............just enough to keep one from getting unemployment.

I'm not sure how long this will last........or my body will last (very physical job).

I'm looking down the road at the debt I pay minimum on. It looks rocky.

The cost of everything is thru the roof.

Comment

How many cc's do you owe? If it's just a one or two you have a better chance of settling than if it's many.
                It's very anxiety-provoking- save one of your pills for that day- but you probably need to stop making your min pays. Save the cash for the attorney or to make a lump sum offer. And get a free hobby- like walking- to replace the bad one. It's a good stress buster, too.
                Our town has some free stuff for 55 and ups, like a gym and other activities. See what you can find.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

How many cc's do you owe? If it's just a one or two you have a better chance of settling than if it's many.
                  It's very anxiety-provoking- save one of your pills for that day- but you probably need to stop making your min pays. Save the cash for the attorney or to make a lump sum offer. And get a free hobby- like walking- to replace the bad one. It's a good stress buster, too.
                  Our town has some free stuff for 55 and ups, like a gym and other activities. See what you can find.
                  I've got 10 of 'em. I'll post details later with percentage rates.

As far as a free hobby.........I like dogs, and I like to play pinochle.

Comment

Actually I have 11 credit cards:

8 have $400-1,100 credit limits.
                    3 have $1,800-2,500 credit limits.

Total CC debt: $11,741.22.........credit limit total $12,625 ( I included recent $200 increase on 1 of 'em + another would allow a $100 increase if I pay $29.95).

I am 92.99% of credit limit(s).

Min. payments/month: 421.00

CC percentages: < 20% $2,827.73...........> 20% $8,913.49

Total cash advances: $1,670.11

I owe 3 doctors a total of $559.00

I make $12/hour in a precarious/seasonal job.

I recently checked my 3 credit scores....all at 700.

What to do?

Comment

12,000 doesn't seem like a lot of file bankruptcy over. Gosh I'd try to settle like KeepSmiling is saying. Get into a gambling program and cut up the cc's.

I don't know much about credit cards. I had only 1 for $300 when I filed. I've lived a cash only life. So this is just a question really, not an actual suggestion. With a 700 score, is it worth it to open a new account and transfer all the debt to just one card? Then the payment would be lower?

Comment

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
                        12,000 doesn't seem like a lot of file bankruptcy over. Gosh I'd try to settle like KeepSmiling is saying. Get into a gambling program and cut up the cc's.

I don't know much about credit cards. I had only 1 for $300 when I filed. I've lived a cash only life. So this is just a question really, not an actual suggestion. With a 700 score, is it worth it to open a new account and transfer all the debt to just one card? Then the payment would be lower?
                        I agree 12,000 seems like a tedious amount, but at $12/hour wages......it isn't. And, in reality, these companies WILL NOT work with you. They say you have to be tenacious when dealing with 'em.............Well, when they say there's nothing they can do............nothing will be lowered. I've tried. I'm stuck.

It's amazing I've got a 700 score. I've only been late once in years due to a paperless conversion snafu on my part on 1 account.

My next due date on a card is 4/4. I have to make a decision very soon. Once I'm late, that'll start a cascade of events.

I've made $2,600 so far this year. Last year I made $17,000. The job market sucks.

I have $2,000 in my BOA savings account. I owe them more than that on their CC. That's the money I'll use to pay a lawyer.
                        Last edited by 12000debt; 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

The interest rates are outrageous. I've gone paperless on all accounts.......they don't have to send me squat. I'm always on time. Yet, I get no breaks from them whatsoever.

I'm not Donald Trump.........so they have no reason to work with me.

Comment

They will NEVER work with you if you keep paying them. You have to STOP paying in order to get their attention.
                            With a dozen cc's, settling might be difficult.
                            Good luck.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

They will NEVER work with you if you keep paying them. You have to STOP paying in order to get their attention.
                              With a dozen cc's, settling might be difficult.
                              Good luck.
                              Thanks. I kinda felt that way.

All the time I get, "At this time we cannot.............".

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X