Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Senior on fixed income needs free (?) BK filing information

Hello,

In Jan of 2010 my credit score was near 800 then I hit hard times and was unable to find work. I am wanting to file Chapter 7. I was told by LegalZoom that my situation is pretty simple and that I do qualify. I have 3 credit cards totaling $12000.00 and a broken lease of $1850. I own my car and own no property, have no assets essentially. I was told I qualify for the filing fee exemption too.

I cannot afford to pay for this. My income is under 1400.00 from Social Security and Unemployment.

I need help in filing myself or someone who will do pro-bono for me. I am in California Eastern District.

Thanks much,

JoLyn

Welcome to the forum, JoLyn. The best I can recommend is to read through this forum, particularly the 'stickies' on Ch7, and Filing Pro Se. Many have done it successfully, and so can you. One of our Moderators, Justbroke, filed Ch13, then converted to Ch7--all Pro Se.

Read all you can and get educated in the process. You may wish to go to Nolopress.com and purchase their latest guide on filing Ch7 Bankruptcy. But I suggest reading here first, then ask some questions.

Also, we will need a bit of your particular details so that the members can form suggestions.

Good wishes to you!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks for your response AngelinaCat . . I appreciate it. I will do as you suggested as regard to the 'stikies". Can you give me an idea what type of particulars the members might need from me?

JoLyn

Comment

The basic run down of simple bk7 is: Fill out paperwork, (forms are given by the Courthouse) Then file (after you get your fee exemption), and in about a month you will get your section 341 meeting with your assigned Trustee. You will be asked your picture I.D. and S.S.# and stock questions as if anything has changed since filing. Lasts an average of five minutes. Wait 10 days for any objection from U.S. Trustee, then 50 more of total 60 days for any creditor objects. Make sure you list ALL debts. Get a PACER account and watch your habit of looking as it is free up to $10.00 at eight cents a page viewed. Your discharge will show here and also in the mail. Simple if no unforseen problems. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

The forms are here: http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees...ptcyForms.aspx

The means testing info is here: http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/meanstesting.htm

Info about your states exemptions (to protect your car and other belongings) is here: http://www.legalconsumer.com/bankrup...-law.php?ST=CA

Even if you can not afford an attorney you should make appointments with several to get impressions of what they know about the Trustees in your area and how difficult (or easy) your case appears to be in their opinion. CA has 2 BK Exemption sets - ask the lawyers which one they think would be better for you. Pick their brains before you attempt to file Pro Se.

Good luck!

ETA: The NOLO How To File book can be purchased here: http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...uptcy-hfb.html
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Thank you both!! Am in the process of doing my research to get this done asap So glad I found this forum and for the much need advise! This is one of the reasons I love the internet!!

Comment

After we started to consider bk, I signed up for a Pre-Paid Legal account ($17 per month). That gave me access for unlimited consultations with lawyer. I had 2 consultations with them, and they answered all my questions about bk and our particular situation. I also browsed internet and found this forum, which was a huge help. I also got a Nolo guide to ch.7 bk, and that allowed me to understand the whole process in depth. I feel that with the help of these 3 tools - PrePaid Legal, forum, and Nolo I could have filed for us pro se if we had no other options.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X