Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

util question

hello
    i am considering filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy, i have a util question(electric), many yrs ago when i bought my house i called and had the electric service turned on,the service is in my ssan and dob,when i called them i used my nickname instead of my legal name, i used jack instead of john,with this being that way will i still be able to add it in my chapter 13 filing,my ssan and dob are on the acct and accurate,at the time i was so excited to have the house and was not thinking and just used my nick,also i have a tax question, i owe the irs for a few yrs of back tax, all of it is over 4 yrs old, will a chapter 13 filing help me

For the tax question - seeking legal counsel is your best move. There are rules that determine whether or not tax debt is dischargeable. If not able to discharge it, a ch. 13 should allow you to pay it over time.

I believe the utility would still be able to be included in your plan. Be careful with utilities though. If you can't catch it up before filing, they may be able to require you to pay additional security deposit in order to continue service. Again, best to discuss with your attorney.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

The name on the utility bill will not be an issue. There is a place on the petition where you include all names other than your legal name that you've used in the last 8 years.

My understanding about taxes is that they can be discharged if they are from returns filed at least 3 years before your BK filing. If you didn't file returns and the IRS just issued an assessment, you won't be able to discharge the debt unless you file returns for those periods and wait 3 years. I think that if you enter into a payment plan with the IRS, that extends the 3 years.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X