Paying something off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying something off?

I didn't know where else to post this...as far as I'm concerned we have yet to receive any discharge paperwork so we're still "in" bankruptcy.

Our travel trailer was included in our bankruptcy and we had no intentions whatsoever of letting it go, so we continued to pay on it just in case we needed to *live* in it. We have never been offered any sort of modification (I don't even know if they do that) or reaffirmation (which we were advised against anyway). So, we figured we would stay and pay, I guess

We almost have enough money saved up to pay the entire thing off, but when is it "safe" to do that? We don't want to raise eyebrows or any red flags, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how long we might want to wait before we pay it off. The balance is under $10,000 but definitely isn't "chump change". My husband's career change has allowed him to work overtime, so we've been blessed with a little extra cash here and there and since continuing to make regular payments doesn't benefit our credit, we figured we might as well pay it off.

Since you are not yet discharged and closed, just relax and wait. I would wait until after discharge and close, especially to be certain that the trailer didn't get caught up in some non-exempt asset status. You'll have plenty of time to pay it off after your case is closed.

Are you a no asset case?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yes, we are a no-asset. I wasn't sure if we should wait maybe a year after discharge or if we could pay it off sooner. Going from being flat broke and having to rob Peter to pay Paul to having money in the bank sure is different

Comment

Originally posted by memama View Post
        Yes, we are a no-asset. I wasn't sure if we should wait maybe a year after discharge or if we could pay it off sooner. Going from being flat broke and having to rob Peter to pay Paul to having money in the bank sure is different

It sure is memama. We needed a part for our furnace on Sunday went and paid for it with cash. We even treated ourselves to breakfast out which we haven't done in ages. Was a great feeling

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X