Bankruptcy Intake and Work Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy Intake and Work Flow

Hi guys, I'm not a practicing attorney, but instead I work for a software company (I do database and SQL work) that has been pondering making an application that could help bankruptcy attorneys manage their practice and cases. I've seen a plethora of information available, but it's difficult to separate the quality products from the out of date ones. My question is; I am interested in learning about the intake process a bankruptcy attorney goes through for taking in a new case and/or client. Also, the work flow that follows from there throughout the case's lifespan.

Obviously, I'm not looking for anyone here to write a dissertation on the process, but hopefully you have some materials that were helpful to you or that are regarded in a high esteem that can educate me on the intake and work flow processes. The software would be created for attorney's not so much the lay person wanting to file for bankruptcy, so it is the lawyer's perspective I am wanting to see. If any of you guys have a good suggestion for a resource by all means let me know! Also, if you'd like to state any materials that were helpful to you in becoming a practicing bankruptcy attorney I'd love to hear about them. Thanks for your time, best wishes!

Eric

There are so many Case Management products out there that are really good, it would probably not be a good idea to attempt to enter that market. There are powerhouse companies, including IBM, which make Case Management software. Now, you could make software that interfaces with those products and perhaps find some niche area. Even in the case of bankruptcy preparation software, it would also be difficult, if not impossible to unseat or even gain any market against the likes of Best Case and EZfiling.

You would be better off going to one of the attorney sites for this study/fact gathering exercise. Most people on this web site are debtors and not attorneys.

(I'm in information technology consulting as well and I thought about things, but the market has solid players. That's not to say that someone can't come up with something better, but no one is asking for something better and attorneys are cheap.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, you're right it's an over-saturated market, fortunately we are already have our foot in the door. We make a PMS that is marketed to attorneys of all law types, I'm hesitant to say which one because I don't want some competitor to wonder through here from a Google search and see what some of our future plans are (or may be). Basically, we have been pondering creating an add-on to the existing software that would give attorneys a basic workflow for BK; forms, proper fields/categories, and reports. Best Case does have a great reputation, we've reached out to them because I know some firms that use our software in conjunction with theirs (currently there is no integration between the two), but we haven't heard back. Essentially, we want to learn if it is worth the effort to do such an add-on and how much additional additional material would be required for that specific law type.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X