top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving out of state during a bankruptcy proceeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving out of state during a bankruptcy proceeding?

I lost my job and do not know if I will be staying put, the job market here for me is dead. I may be moving to another state, what makes it difficult is finances, I am broke, no job and will be on unemployment in a couple of weeks which isn't much here, can't even pay my bills. So I have some job leads elsewhere.

The biggest concern is trying to find a place to live if I do leave with my bad credit and pending BK looming over my head.

Also what if I move prior to the 341 which I was told would be next month?

Should I best wait till I reach a discharge before leaving the area and state?

Of course it is safer to wait until after your 341/discharge to move, but don't let that stop you if you have a legitimate job opportunity. You are under no legal obligation to reside in the city/county/state after you have filed.

Good Luck
    Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

What if I pay my lawyer here the filing fees and cost of services, then move prior to my 341? That's a likely scenario but I will probably take a dead end job soon (if I can find one) and try to keep a afloat.

Comment

How far are you going to move? AFAIK, the only thing you'd have worry about would be the logistics of having to drive to the 341 hearing.

And even then, I've heard of people doing their 341 hearings via telephone. I have no idea what the procedure is for doing that.
        Don
        Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
        Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

I could move thousands of miles away possibly, we prefer not to leave at all reason for a temp. dead end job that can at least pay some bills and keep a roof over our heads.

Would be hard to move as there is no money, no credit cards and etc. I am just looking at a worst case scenario, my Lawyer said the 341 would be in June.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmisery View Post
            I could move thousands of miles away possibly, we prefer not to leave at all reason for a temp. dead end job that can at least pay some bills and keep a roof over our heads.

Would be hard to move as there is no money, no credit cards and etc. I am just looking at a worst case scenario, my Lawyer said the 341 would be in June.
            Have you even filed yet? If you are definitely going to move or think there is a good chance that you will, talk to your attorney about it. Otherwise, I'd stop worrying about what ifs and get your BK filed.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              Have you even filed yet? If you are definitely going to move or think there is a good chance that you will, talk to your attorney about it. Otherwise, I'd stop worrying about what ifs and get your BK filed.
              Petition will be submitted this coming week. I was told the 341 could be in June. I just don't move pre 341.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X