Employment Credit Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Credit Checks

Seems a lot of people are getting turned down for jobs based on their credit report ... even though several studies show no correlation between bad credit and job performance, many companies say if you can't handle your finances, you can't handle your job.

If Bad Credit Shows a Problem ... How About Divorced People ?

On the Background Check there is a public section that shows Divorces. Would you hire a Divorced Person ? Clearly, if they can't manage their own lives and affairs, why do you think they can be trusted to manage a companies affairs ?

Currently there are about 10 states that Ban employment credit checks, more are thinking about it:

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, Washington

There is also a Bill in Washington that is waiting to move on and be passed:

H.R.645 - Equal Employment for All Act ... look it up on the internet.

In a divorce situation you cannot take a "dim" view of that person as it could have been that person's "ex" that caused the divorce in the first place. Credit reports are individualized.

Not that I like ANY of it but in fairness and direct to the question, the divorce is and will never be an accurate representation of how one person handles their affairs.

Comment

"In a divorce situation you cannot take a "dim" view of that person as it could have been that person's "ex" that caused the divorce in the first place. Credit reports are individualized."

Bad credit could have been caused by You or Your Ex through loss of a job or careless spending and it carried over to you or your Ex's credit report through joint credit cards, loans you co-signed, etc. that have gone delinquent, So they aren't separated or individualized to you or your ex's problems alone if you have joint accounts.

So, being able to Control affairs like marriage and divorce, is a little more telling (ie: conflicting personalities) than being in a position that you have No Control over ... like being laid off and being penalized for it.

"the divorce is and will never be an accurate representation of how one person handles their affairs"

Someone or both could not handle some part of their affair ... that is why the divorce.

I'll Leave It There.

Comment

I do not know of one of my friends, family, colleagues that have lost a job offer due to credit. I have read where jobs in the "financial services" marketplace may lean more heavily on credit.

The other place where you must maintain your financial lifestyle correctly is in certain public sector positions. I had to disclose my bankruptcy, value of home, debt and other things to receive a recent clearance on both a federal government job and with a law enforcement agency. (I can see the federal government and law enforcement having issues with taking bribes or doing other unbecoming things when you are having financial trouble.)
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I haven't ever heard of anyone being denied a job for bad credit. The only places this might be a factor would be the financial sector, or somewhere they ask you to apply for a company card for business expenses. I guess this would be another reason to consider why you wouldn't want to give up credit completely.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X