Should I get a new attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get a new attorney?

I am frustrated with my bankruptcy attorney. It has been two and half months and still no action on my Chapter 7 Bankruptcy case. I was assured by his paralegal that he would have the case ready for our review today. (Oct 23, 2013). When I called to ask about it he, the paralegal, was of course not available to take my call right now. When I asked his assistant the status of our case, he had no idea. Communication with the lawyer has been practically non-existent. I wrote them a check 3 weeks ago for the filing fee and the rest of the attorney's fee. The check has still not been cashed even after several phone calls and e-mails to the attorney to have him do so. I am waiting for a call back now from the paralegal. If I do not get a satisfactory answer from him, I believe I am going to fire the attorney and start this process all over. I do not relish this idea but I feel I am being ignored.
    Am I being too impatient?
    Your suggestions are welcome.

If his office is not too far a drive, maybe show up at his office to get the answers you seek. Don't think you can be ignored if you are physically in the office. Just don't go between Noon and 1:00.

Des.

Comment

Thank you Des. I did drive over to the office and spoke with the Paralegal. Supposedly he is going to email the petition for my review today. But it is after 2 pm and I have not received anything yet. I will keep you posted.

Comment

I am happy to report that my visit to the lawyer's office paid off. He finally e-mailed a copy of the petition for my review. I will return the corrected copy to him tomorrow and hopefully we can get it filed early next week.

Comment

Glad to read the above. Just keep on him when you return the documents for corrections.

Des.

Comment

I will add that I had to correct and re-correct my petition 3 times! Look at every line and make sure that it is correct!
            The first time it even had our names wrong and that we owned a gun, God forbid! I was horrified!

Comment

We had to correct ours, too. Numerous times. Our attorney was glad to see us leave. She procrastinated until the very last business day of the year, 2007. We were not going to leave her office until she got our paperwork filed. Otherwise, we would have had to wait until July 2008 to file, because of a yearly stipend from our Retirement trust that comes in January. By July 2008, we would have had a couple of judgments on our records to contend with.
              Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-24-2013, 01:41 PM. Reason: added the last sentance and corrected some spelling
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Communication seems to be the most frequent gripe about our attorneys, I had a few along those lines myself. He came through in the end, but I would have been a wreck if I had any major issues I was concerned about.

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. Monday brings a new day and I plan to be a pest until this thing gets filed. Unfortunately, I found out on Friday that the paralegal I have been working with is taking a new job with a different company on Monday. His replacement has little or no experience in the bankruptcy arena. Hopefully, it will not be a long learning curve for him. As I stated, I plan to stay on him/them. I will keep the forum posted on my progress.

Comment

My petition is ready to be filed. I meet with the attorney next week for a final review of the petition. Hopefully, everything will be okay and we can get this thing filed. Persistence pays off!

Comment

I am sure it will all work out for you.

Des.

Comment

My chapter 7 petition was filed today. What a relief. Now the waiting game for the 341 hearing.

Comment

I am glad for you. You are on your way!
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X