Car Rental with Debit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Rental with Debit Card

I may need to rent a car for travel soon. I don't have credit cards but it seems I can use my debit card attached to my bank account. I could only find one company that will do this without a credit check though. It appears the car company freezes the funds in my account when I reserve the car, which is fine. My concern is that a judgement creditor comes in in the meantime and takes all that money out of my bank account. Does anyone know if they can attach themselves to money that the car company has already frozen?

If you have a judgment, then you should never put more than your state's nonbankruptcy exemption amount into your bank account. It could disappear without warning, plus you would be charged fees for the bank's trouble! I am not sure how much one can keep in a bank account in California and be exempt from levy, but here in Arizona that amount is a piddly $150. As soon as I got sued, I withdrew all the money from my bank accounts except for $500, and kept the cash in my apartment. Then, when Gurstel Chargo/Discover Bank got their judgment, I spent the remaining funds down to under $150 in each account. When they finally tried to levy my checking account, about 2 months later, the balance was $67, and they didn't get a dime!

I think you should try to pay for the car rental some other way, or otherwise do without. If this is a business trip, have your employer put the car rental on a company credit card. If you are traveling with someone else, have that person put the car rental on their credit card. If none of these things apply, perhaps you could have a family member pay the car rental on their credit card?

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
      If you have a judgment, then you should never put more than your state's nonbankruptcy exemption amount into your bank account. It could disappear without warning, plus you would be charged fees for the bank's trouble! I am not sure how much one can keep in a bank account in California and be exempt from levy, but here in Arizona that amount is a piddly $150. As soon as I got sued, I withdrew all the money from my bank accounts except for $500, and kept the cash in my apartment. Then, when Gurstel Chargo/Discover Bank got their judgment, I spent the remaining funds down to under $150 in each account. When they finally tried to levy my checking account, about 2 months later, the balance was $67, and they didn't get a dime!

I think you should try to pay for the car rental some other way, or otherwise do without. If this is a business trip, have your employer put the car rental on a company credit card. If you are traveling with someone else, have that person put the car rental on their credit card. If none of these things apply, perhaps you could have a family member pay the car rental on their credit card?
      Apparently, car rental companies want a credit or debit card that is in the name of the driver. This is the problem.

I am curious as to whether they can actually attach to funds that a car rental company has already frozen, though. If they can, what is the point of the hold on the funds?

It is not a business trip but I do need the car. I just don't know what to do about this.

Comment

Hi, I know around here that the car rental companies will only let you use a debit card if you have a license for this state. In a case where someone is visiting here maybe and has an out of state license they will not take a debit card. We had a family member make a reservation with a national big rental company here to rent a vehicle while he visited. Once he arrived to pick up his rental they ask for his license and the card for the reservation, they would not allow him to use a debit card at that time. He had to give them a credit card in the end to get the rental. So you may want to check on that so you are not caught off guard. Also, the hold on his account was there for a long time as he made the reservation about a month in advance and it was for more money then the actual invoice.

I agree see if you can make other arrangements maybe like borrow a car from someone on that end? Good luck...

Comment

I am not concerned about that. My license is from the same state where I would be renting it. My question related to the hold on the funds in my account.

Comment

I am interested too. I have rented a car before and they put a few hundred dollar hold on my funds when using the debit card. I did not have fear from issues you are dealing with so I could not give any advice on it. Also I found hotels do similar holds for non essentials. Just an FYI.
            11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spearmint View Post
              I am not concerned about that. My license is from the same state where I would be renting it. My question related to the hold on the funds in my account.
              Did you call your bank and ask their policy? Personally, that would give me a better take on the situation. Good luck.
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Spearmint, I removed your other post asking specifically about car rental companies not requiring credit checks. For the most part, your questions have been answered in this current thread.

Please do not confuse everyone with two similar threads regarding the same topic. For this reason, duplicate posts on the same topic are not allowed, as per the Forum Rules.

Thank you
                AC
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X