top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to confirm account so I can post with no luck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to confirm account so I can post with no luck.

I hope it's ok to ask a question here. I am filing on my own, Chp 7, literally no assets. I read that you cant include debts less than 90 days old. I get why, it prevents abusing the process. But does a new garnishment for an old debt count as a new debt?

Please check your email, including your spam folder, for an activation email. If you don't find one, post in the thread at: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...in-forum/page9 and HRx will help you.

You misunderstand the 90 day rule. It is not automatic. If you incur debt over a certain amount ($600 I think) for luxury goods and services or get a cash advance of a different amount (over $700 I think) within 90 days of filing and the creditor objects to discharge of that debt, it will be presumed to be non-dischargeable. If a debt does not fit that description, the creditor would have to prove that you incurred the debt without intent to pay. Debt incurred within 90 days of filing is discharged in BK all the time because creditors only object if they think it is worth the cost of doing so. If there is no objection, the debt is discharged.

A garnishment is a method of collecting an existing debt, it is not incurring new debt.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 04-30-2014, 09:02 AM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by deacon328 View Post
      I hope it's ok to ask a question here. I am filing on my own, Chp 7, literally no assets. I read that you cant include debts less than 90 days old. I get why, it prevents abusing the process. But does a new garnishment for an old debt count as a new debt?
      Try posting in a different forum now. If that doesn't work re-check your email for the activation codes. You will need to validate and activate your account in order to post throughout the forum.
      The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X