Another question related to domestic partnership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question related to domestic partnership

I have another question, if you don't mind.

I make close to $88k yearly and have close to $100k in debt. I live with my domestic partner. My partner is self-employed and makes about $20k yearly. As a result, I end up covering most of our household expenses, such as rent, medical/dental/vision insurance, utilities, groceries, Internet, cable, etc. My partner's income is very unstable. During the Fall and Winter months, he makes very little money, sometimes less than $1000/month before taxes. He can afford to make his car payments, gas, his own cell phone, insurance, etc. I pick up the rest of the bills due to my income.

I had a brief phone consultation with an attorney (my meeting in-person will take place in about 2 weeks), who told me that we can most likely list my partner as a dependent on my BK paperwork.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? We are not legally married, but we've been living together for over a year.

Do you think the UST will have an issue with that?

Thank you!

I don't know the answer, but a relevant question may be: Are you registered domestic partners?

Be sure to consult with more than one attorney so you can compare their answers and choose one you feel is most competent. One question to ask is whether they have experience filing BK for people who live with their unmarried partners.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X