Insurance on vehicle to be surrendered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance on vehicle to be surrendered?

Hi all, So I'm new to all of this and we have a vehicle that is going to be surrendered in our Ch 13. We are waiting on the relief from stay and in the meantime we are still paying for the insurance. Can we cancel it?
    My thoughts are once the vehicle is in there possesion we are not responsible for the debt, no matter the condition of the vehicle.
    Please let me know your thoughts!! Thanks!!

Our state requires that if one is not using an insured vehicle and wants to cancel the insurance, the tag has to be surrendered so the vehicle cannot be taken out on the road. As long as that car is in your name, you need to insure it. Once you sign the title over or the title transfer has taken place, it is no longer your responsibility. Check with your State Motor Vehicle Dept.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
      Our state requires that if one is not using an insured vehicle and wants to cancel the insurance, the tag has to be surrendered so the vehicle cannot be taken out on the road. As long as that car is in your name, you need to insure it. Once you sign the title over or the title transfer has taken place, it is no longer your responsibility. Check with your State Motor Vehicle Dept.
      This is true in most states. I add that you should keep it insured in any case until it is picked up. If something happens to it in your driveway, or a tree falls on it, etc. you could be held responsible. Not worth the risk. Take your tag off the car when they pick it up. Photo the car at that time and get a receipt. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Funny to see your post. We surrendered our van yesterday. Called Allstate insurance same day and had coverage taken off. They didn't require any forms, etc. which surprised me. I'm in Florida.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X