Insurance cost increased in C-13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance cost increased in C-13?

I couldn't really find the answer to this in the insurance forum, most people there had filed Chapter 7 not 13. So I thought I would ask it here, please.

When you filed Chapter 13, did your home and/or auto go up? And if so, but (roughly) what percent?

Thanks!

Slingerland, we just had our renewal, and nothing with spouse's 13 filing and my toxic credit.

Comment

Our home owners more than doubled, 990 before to 2300 now. No relief as of yet for modification, or request to keep tax check. I asked my agent and the reply was our risk score was the highest they ever saw. No claims and a customer for eight years.

Comment

There are a few states that don't allow auto insurers to consider your credit score as a factor when determining your premiums (MA, HI, CA and MD), so someone in one of these states shouldn't see a premium change. Plus, I've read that some insurers don't use credit scores even in states where they could. So I think the consensus on this issue is going to be all over the place.

ETA:

Originally posted by dbr View Post
        Our home owners more than doubled, 990 before to 2300 now. No relief as of yet for modification, or request to keep tax check. I asked my agent and the reply was our risk score was the highest they ever saw. No claims and a customer for eight years.
        Holy cr*p! That's awful! Luckily, the low scores don't last forever and there's more than one insurance company out there. So at least there's hope.
        Last edited by debee; 06-21-2011, 05:13 PM.
        There are two secrets for success in life:
        1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

My car did but that was based on a ticket. My homeowners(now renters) did though as well. Funny a renters policy would be almost double what I paid as homeowners for my old condo.
          Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
          The rebuilding begins

Comment

My homeowners over doubled and my car insurances both went up by about 40%. I am in Missouri and am with American Family.

Comment

Our car and home insurance did not change at all after filing.
              I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
              06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
              07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
              10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
              01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
              09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
              06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
              08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
              Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

In my case, I'm filing alone and my wife will not be filing. Perhaps for the insurance her FICO and CLUE scores will keep the premiums under control. I'm in Arkansas, and use Travelers for home, auto, rentals and umbrella liability.

Comment

I use Travelers as well. House went up about 40% due to a water claim last year. Auto remained unchanged. Where I really noticed a difference was when I priced with other carriers -- until my score increases I am thinking now is not really a great time to shop around. In the past, I could usually find a carrier or two that had similar rates (but not enough to incent me to switch).

Comment

Both my auto and homeoners insurance are credit rated. Both went up several years ago when my credit scores dropped. When I filed Chapter 13 my credit scores increased by over 100 points and my latest premiums have remained level or dropped slightly.

Comment

FYI, Progressive Insurance only uses your credit score when you become a new customer or when YOU request a rerate based on your credit score (which means the premium could go up or down). They do not pull it again at renewal ever, which is nice.

Edit: I had actually requested a rating based on credit score when my score was extremely high, got a huge discount, and have been enjoying it ever since.
                      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
                      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

I have Travelers, last renewal auto when down since an accident from several years ago dropped off, homeowers slight annual increase.
                        Discharged 5/2015

Comment

both home and auto went up for us; auto by about $300 a year, and same for homeowners from what I remember. However, we just received renewal for auto and it actually went down $180 - just past the 14 month mark of filing - so now we're at $120 more vs. prior to filing.

Comment

Mine didn't go up as a result of filing, but they did recently go up just a little bit because of some stupid thing the state of Texas did that made all of my premiums go up. Oh, also I lowered my deductibles last year to reduce my own risk, so of course that caused them to go up some.

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
                              FYI, Progressive Insurance only uses your credit score when you become a new customer or when YOU request a rerate based on your credit score (which means the premium could go up or down). They do not pull it again at renewal ever, which is nice.

Edit: I had actually requested a rating based on credit score when my score was extremely high, got a huge discount, and have been enjoying it ever since.
                              very good to know
                              Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
                              The rebuilding begins

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X