Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning to file - just got hired

Hi All!

I've been lurking here awhile. For the past 6 months I have been learning everything I can to file pro se. We are a family of 5. Same old story: economy caused my husband to be laid off right after we bought our home. He now makes $37,000 but old creditors have frozen our bank accounts (luckily I follow court records closely and now have paper checks). They have attempted to garnish unsuccessfully so far.

Anyway, the plan was to file this next week and I finally got a job! Doesn't start for a week and together we will make under $60,000/year. From what I can tell, we still pass the means test. But would it be safer to file before I start?

Sorry if a silly question. I feel we will be fine either way it just scared me making more money.

If your annual household income is below median even with the new job and you don't have unusually low expenses that make you vulnerable for an objection to discharge based on the totality of circumstances, then it shouldn't matter when you file. Do keep in mind that some means testing figures change effective May 1st. Make sure those changes don't make filing this month more advantageous. https://www.justice.gov/ust/means-testing

$60,000 is well below median for a family of 5 in Washington. So, I doubt you will have any problem.

Congratulations on your new job!
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

LadyInRed,

Thanks so much for responding. I hired an attorney and was told the same thing. So relieved because I couldn't refuse employment even if it came at an odd time.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X