After a sucessful discharge in Chapter 7,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a sucessful discharge in Chapter 7,

what would happen if you returned an item on a credit card that was discharged and accepted?

Would the person be entitled to that money, or would the bank keep it and apply it to the written off balance?

Im thinking out loud here but I dont think the return would be processed. The account number would be returned declined since its been disharged. That my guess?

If you want to 'return' an item and get money for it try ebay ;)

Comment

Take the store credit instead of a credit card refund. That is the normal procedure at many stores if the customer does not have the card anymore. Some stores can refund without the card present, but ask to take the store credit instead and say the account is closed, which is true.

Comment

But if the store applied the credit to the card, and that transaction was sucessful on the store's end, where would I stand?

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
        Take the store credit instead of a credit card refund. That is the normal procedure at many stores if the customer does not have the card anymore. Some stores can refund without the card present, but ask to take the store credit instead and say the account is closed, which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by FM2000 View Post
          But if the store applied the credit to the card, and that transaction was sucessful on the store's end, where would I stand?
          The way that credit card refunds work is quite impressive. The card issuer has the ability to receive refunds for cancelled cards, as well as cards where the account number changed. The banks are really good at this.

Store credit is better because it won't go back to the original account.

If the store will only apply the refund to the "original form of payment" then the original bank will get the refund. The question is whether the store can apply the refund as an offset/setoff of the amount owed before you filed. I can't answer that with any certainty. In either case, for you as the debtor, the issue is the same. You would not see any money.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I thought, positive if any, that since I was discharged from that debt, I no longer owe money to the credit card issuer, thus this credit should be returned to me?

Comment

Originally posted by FM2000 View Post
              I thought, positive if any, that since I was discharged from that debt, I no longer owe money to the credit card issuer, thus this credit should be returned to me?
              It's s setoff. They paid your debt and are getting a refund. At least, that's how I think about it. The workaround is as flashoflight mentioned... get a store credit instead. That way it doesn't go back to the issuer of the credit card account.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X