Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses

Is there a way to claim internet service as an expense in BK? I would think that it would be considered a luxury and not a necessity.

My problem arises because I have to maintain high speed internet (DSL or cable) for my job. Just this year, many of us were sent home to work (it saves the company money of course). I am still an employee, full benefits, I just don't have to travel in to work (heck most days I work in my pajamas until noon!). We are not compensated for the internet expense, it is my sole responsibility. And of course, the "basic" packages are not fast enough, so I had to upgrade to a "middle of the road" package to get the speed requirements.

Not that I'm complaining - anything to work from home...I just LOVE it!

Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

JAG
    Chapter 7 - Pro Se
    Filed: 08/10/09 --- 341 Meeting: 09/08/09
    Last Day for Objections: 11/09/09
    Discharged and Closed: 11/12/09

justagirl:

Not filing pro se. Our high speed internet service is included on our telephone bill. Our BK Attorney told us to do just that...It's A Telephone Bill.

I haven't read the Nolo book or perused the US Bankruptcy forms. Seems to me there would be a line item on the Expense Form for Other if you want to show it separately.

Hubby is an over the road truck driver & basically lives in his truck 5-6 days a week. He averages around $95 a week in expenses. His expenses will be listed as Other.

Luci

Comment

Thanks Luci. Your thoughts are along the lines of mine.

You should see the notes I have written down, scribbled all other the place. Tips that I've picked up here and from the Nolo book...don't forget to do "this", don't forget "that", etc. LOL I will take some time this weekend to actually organize my tips...as of right now, they are mainly on post-its as that is what is handy next to my computer!

JAG
      Chapter 7 - Pro Se

Comment

I included satellite and internet as an expense. I put it on Line 2d (Other) on Sched. J for $123. It wasn't questioned.
        Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
        341 Meeting: 1/7/09
        Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
        Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

Originally posted by justagirl View Post
          Thanks Luci. Your thoughts are along the lines of mine.

You should see the notes I have written down, scribbled all other the place. Tips that I've picked up here and from the Nolo book...don't forget to do "this", don't forget "that", etc. LOL I will take some time this weekend to actually organize my tips...as of right now, they are mainly on post-its as that is what is handy next to my computer!

JAG
          Hey!

You are not alone. Our 4th bedroom is an Office & hubby has a path to the Computer Armoire. Besides that path, there are papers everywhere LOL!

We started our BK journey last Sept. when we retained our Attorney. Waiting for some of my income to drop off & it did in Feb. So will be filing 9/09!

Luci

PS Since you work at home, possibly other expenses you could claim? Use a printer for work? Have a copy machine you need for work? Right there would be Ink for printer & toner for copier, if you've purchased lately. File cabinets? The file cabinet would be an Asset (inexpensive!); however, the files & hanging file folders would be an expense. Just some ideas to get your disposable income down, down down

Comment

Jen, thanks for your insight!

Luci, you just made me create yet another post-it of things to remember! LOL. Thanks again for your assistance - those things never even crossed my mind!

JAG
            Chapter 7 - Pro Se

Comment

Originally posted by justagirl View Post
              Is there a way to claim internet service as an expense in BK? I would think that it would be considered a luxury and not a necessity.
              You can include it, especially if it helps produce income. I need it for work! I put $120.00 on Schedule J Line 2(d) (Other Utilities). No questions. However, this number needs to make sense, and when you start pushing (probably) $150... it would probably raise an eyebrow.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X